Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Trump victory

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Will unsettle the markets, dump us in a bear market, ratings downgrade and a very likely recession.
0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Ratings Downgrade because of Trump.........Na don't think so. Recession because of Trump.......mmmmmmmmm nope......
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
When Trump is finished building his wall around America, he's going to slaughter our goose which lies the golden egg.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
u could argue we are in recession now-our markets have gone sidweways for nearly 3 years-the world economy is being held on minimal growth by historically low interest rates-it could take the smallest trigger to set of a significant correction.trump winning looks unlikely but then so was brexit.interesting times.opportunities around the corner I hope-been sitting on my hands for 3 years now apart from a few sales.cash flush and waiting
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
u could argue we are in recession now-our markets have gone sidweways for nearly 3 years-the world economy is being held on minimal growth by historically low interest rates-it could take the smallest trigger to set of a significant correction.trump winning looks unlikely but then so was brexit.interesting times.opportunities around the corner I hope-been sitting on my hands for 3 years now apart from a few sales.cash flush and waiting
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Let's hope for a Trexit tonight.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
My money's on Trump, but I've got a feeling this is going to be a special election, following the same route as the Gore/Bush battle a couple of elections ago.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
The Rand has weakened against the dollar with the liklihood of a Trump win. Anyone think this presents a good opportunity to go long Rand, with the expectation of no December rate hike in the US and a possible ratings downgrade aversion?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
I love it! They got it all wrong again! Polls designed to sell a version rather than provide a scientific prediction. Why bother!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
T-card takes it 275 e votes, so far, 270 needed
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
I think it comes down to whether Yellen will still be in office or not. If she's still there I think a hike is still on the cards and not so good news for the rand.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
I think it's safe to say that Trumps win will and has caused economic uncertainty in the US, and as a result irrespecticve of whether Yellen is there or not interest rate hikes may be put on hold.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
I think it's safe to say that Trumps win will and has caused economic uncertainty in the US, and as a result irrespecticve of whether Yellen is there or not interest rate hikes may be put on hold.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
In that respect you could take a little nibble at the rand. Even if you look at our local factors more and more prominent people in the ANC itself are making a noise of getting rid of our current president. If that happens you could see fenominal strength in the rand.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
A timing thing entirely - I see no future for the Rand in the longer term.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
What factors will you say is bearish for the rand in future, if we manage to avert the downgrade?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
No 1 Inflation, No 2 Political
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Growing deficit - long term. NO growth. Growing discontent in the face of a worldwide rise of populism. Political risk is enormous. - I cannot see how anybody of substance could leave themselves exposed to the political risk in this place. Upside - the ZAR retraces... what... 30%. Downside... Zimbabwe? I would rather leave my kids provided for in USD/EUR/UKP/OZ$. If the Rand - miraculously - runs away from these currencies - I'll move to another country and live in that currency.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Assumption is the mother of all [email protected]#$ ups...
0 Kudos