Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Trump victory

The_Trader
Frequent Contributor
Will unsettle the markets, dump us in a bear market, ratings downgrade and a very likely recession.
25 REPLIES 25
Quakedog
Super Contributor
Ratings Downgrade because of Trump.........Na don't think so. Recession because of Trump.......mmmmmmmmm nope......
The_Trader
Frequent Contributor
When Trump is finished building his wall around America, he's going to slaughter our goose which lies the golden egg.
geordie1
Super Contributor
u could argue we are in recession now-our markets have gone sidweways for nearly 3 years-the world economy is being held on minimal growth by historically low interest rates-it could take the smallest trigger to set of a significant correction.trump winning looks unlikely but then so was brexit.interesting times.opportunities around the corner I hope-been sitting on my hands for 3 years now apart from a few sales.cash flush and waiting
geordie1
Super Contributor
u could argue we are in recession now-our markets have gone sidweways for nearly 3 years-the world economy is being held on minimal growth by historically low interest rates-it could take the smallest trigger to set of a significant correction.trump winning looks unlikely but then so was brexit.interesting times.opportunities around the corner I hope-been sitting on my hands for 3 years now apart from a few sales.cash flush and waiting
Russ
Super Contributor
Let's hope for a Trexit tonight.
The_Trader
Frequent Contributor
My money's on Trump, but I've got a feeling this is going to be a special election, following the same route as the Gore/Bush battle a couple of elections ago.
LTC
Contributor
The Rand has weakened against the dollar with the liklihood of a Trump win. Anyone think this presents a good opportunity to go long Rand, with the expectation of no December rate hike in the US and a possible ratings downgrade aversion?
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
I love it! They got it all wrong again! Polls designed to sell a version rather than provide a scientific prediction. Why bother!
koos2
Super Contributor
T-card takes it 275 e votes, so far, 270 needed
The_Trader
Frequent Contributor
I think it comes down to whether Yellen will still be in office or not. If she's still there I think a hike is still on the cards and not so good news for the rand.
LTC
Contributor
I think it's safe to say that Trumps win will and has caused economic uncertainty in the US, and as a result irrespecticve of whether Yellen is there or not interest rate hikes may be put on hold.
LTC
Contributor
I think it's safe to say that Trumps win will and has caused economic uncertainty in the US, and as a result irrespecticve of whether Yellen is there or not interest rate hikes may be put on hold.
LTC
Contributor
The_Trader
Frequent Contributor
In that respect you could take a little nibble at the rand. Even if you look at our local factors more and more prominent people in the ANC itself are making a noise of getting rid of our current president. If that happens you could see fenominal strength in the rand.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
A timing thing entirely - I see no future for the Rand in the longer term.
The_Trader
Frequent Contributor
What factors will you say is bearish for the rand in future, if we manage to avert the downgrade?
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
No 1 Inflation, No 2 Political
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Growing deficit - long term. NO growth. Growing discontent in the face of a worldwide rise of populism. Political risk is enormous. - I cannot see how anybody of substance could leave themselves exposed to the political risk in this place. Upside - the ZAR retraces... what... 30%. Downside... Zimbabwe? I would rather leave my kids provided for in USD/EUR/UKP/OZ$. If the Rand - miraculously - runs away from these currencies - I'll move to another country and live in that currency.
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
Assumption is the mother of all !@#$ ups...