Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

WorkForce Holdings

Antenna14
Contributor
Hi All Based on a recent Survey that was conducted in SA on 750 Companies. 31% of Companies find it difficult to Find skilled labour which is surprising considering the high unemployment rate in SA. Based on this information, what is your views on whether or not this will Spark an interest in Workforce Holdings in the near future?
8 REPLIES 8
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
The shortage as you said...."skilled labour". Unskilled there is an abundance, but expensive because of our labour laws, easy to hire almost impossible to fire. Definitively not a market related scenario of supply and demand.
Antenna14
Contributor
The demand for Skilled labor cannot be met by a Company like Workforce? I get what you saying that it is expensive, but going forward what other option would companies have if they want to grow? Either take on unskilled and send them for training, alternatively the government might step in at some point? either way wouldn't businesses like Workforce benefit from this?
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
I use them where I need unskilled labour, mainly in dispatch,for a period of about 4 months,as a means to try and combat shrinkage, by a new lot coming in before getting too friendly with clients. Due to shortage of skilled personnel, I feel there is no, or very little need for that category to go through a labour broker as the demand is out there. As I don't trade in the cities, I may be completely wrong, but in the country towns, we definitely have a huge problem in hiring good qualified staff.
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
If this benighted country carries on going, outsourced labour forces wil be the order of the day. WKF also has an interesting micro-lending ("rewards" by any other name) business. Worth a nibble at 40c. At R130...? PMV (Primeserv)is also looking very cheap...
geordie1
Super Contributor
the truth for the world is that companies are shedding jobs skilled and unskilled via technology-the lack of skilled labour and the hardening attitude towards bringing it in will force companies to look at technology to fill the gap>our children are goona battle to find employment as we know it .similar to the industrial revolution the technology revolution is decimating the work force
Not applicable
or your kids can just go work for the technology companies filling the gap. You can blame capitalism for the downsizing of the workforce and for mechanization. An ideology that enables the rich to get richer and the poor to grow in number has to be questioned at some stage. You can also blame SA labour laws for the trend towards outsourcing of labour. But it doesn't really make sense to blame technology for job losses. That will be like criticizing the internet for costing jobs in the post office. All skills have relevance - you need to learn to teach your kids how to identify the relevance of theirs .
geordie1
Super Contributor
was I criticising I thought I was making an observation.all is well with change as it is inevitable.I am quite excited about technology and the advances it makes allowing the human race to have a higher standard of living and more leisure time.the issue of the haves and the have nots is above my pay grade.
Antenna14
Contributor
So our conclusion is that ... Companies focused on technology rather than People will flourish in the future? In no way am I saying that workforce is focused on people im only making a point.Basically a Company like EOH Vs Workforce, we would rather put our money into EOH for the long term...? Im looking for a dead share that will soon arise that I can put a small amount into call it a gamble... but Im thinking the worlds economic status is unstable right now... and heading towards tough times based on what Ive been reading if that is the case then you would sure find a few of those companies that do very well in recession... but just survive in the good times... Maybe get them now while still cheap, or am I off track? any suggestions that I can look into?