Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

advice on anglo and kumba

pirates
Contributor
I currently own anglo American averaging 300rand and its at 190 and kumba averaging 280 and its 225 would you hold onto these shares or sell them at current prices?
15 REPLIES 15
Not applicable
Personally I would hold if you holding the actual shares, which I assume is the case.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
why KIO and AGL as AGL holds KIO so you doubling up ?? unless you very bullish iron ore, which I would not be
pirates
Contributor
yes own the actual share ,another quick question kumbas dividend how much do you think it will be ?
Not applicable
I would be buying at these current levels and on dips so that I lower my avg costing. Yes iron ore prices are in the doldrums but everything on the market works in cycles. Wait for the upturn.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
wait how long ?? BIL is squeezing everybody out and it going to take some time
samoa
Super Contributor
You'll need 58% and 25% growth respectively to reach break even. Possible but unlikely in 12months time. Question should be:Can that money do better in the meantime elsewhere? I believe:Yes. Where? I'll be tempted to setup a ambush for SOL.(Ambush= be ready and wait for "right" moment.) I would atleast sell some. OMO + 2 cups of concentrated gutfeel.
Not applicable
I dont think anyone can accurately predict a timeframe, oil tanked from 110 USD o current levels in less than 6 months. My reasoning for holding is simple if he sells he locks in the loss and to sell now will be silly at its sitting at 12 month lows, wait for a bounce, wait how long? I am not sure.
Not applicable
time value of money is the key. You have already lost - deal with it. You cannot have a mindset whereby you look to recoup your losses. Will you sell if you hit R300 again? Your mindset has to be where can I realistically get the best gains with what I have left. Now, as to where the best sector is, that is a separate story all together. It is definitely not Kumba. Anglo might have some legs - it is a diversified miner, and I am getting bullish on Platinum (for trading, not investing - I never invest in resources). One trick regarding resources - if the industry swings positive - the company that stands the most to gain is most likely Grindrod. They handle almost all the bulk ore shipments - so I would view Grindrod as a far less risky option for capitalising in the eventual swing in commodities - (and you might get some short term gain on the rest of their investments too).
Russ
Super Contributor
Rams
Super Contributor
I would keep the shares. 1. -I would not average down anymore. 2- I would look for an opportunity to get into shares like APN, NPN, CPI..etc. All in the same portfolio of about 5 shares...3-When the portfolio starts to show some positivity or KIO comes up, i would sell KIO. Your portfoio should be balanced enough to give you "average equal" exposure(20%) to different sectors. I had BIL and SOL some time ago, and sold SOL becos BIL had OIL..
AP
Regular Contributor
I agree with Simon, Skaaptjop, Samoa, etc. I think the wait can still be long. Rather sell and put the money in shares that are actually growing. When resources actually start to turn, then you can sell again and put your money in them (if you want). I also had Anglo, sold at a loss and made-up my loss within a couple of months (with other shares). Another tip: compare RS (relative strength of Anglo versus medi clinic, nepi, aspen, coronation, etc. and make a decision
indium
Contributor
Ask yourself if you would commit fresh money to AGL & KIO now ? I agree with buying 5 or more holdings as that diversifies you. AGL is now relatively cheap and could be a good pick if you kept it as one 5 stocks, it should also have a good dividend underpin. My picks would be MTN, BIL
indium
Contributor
My picks would be MTN, BIL
indium
Contributor
My picks would be MTN for dividends, BIL
pirates
Contributor
thanks for the advice guys its much appreciated