Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Contactless Card Security

Could I unknowingly have made a purchase if I walk past the terminal?

No. Your card has to be within 4cm of the contactless terminal and held for more than half

a second and the merchant must have first entered the amount for you to approve.

Is there any chance that payments may be taken twice from my account?

Contactless terminals are designed to accept one card per transaction at any time

How do I know that my transaction information is secure?

The contactless technology platforms are based on secure EMV chip technology, which

provides both data protection and transaction security via the use of keys and the latest

encryption technology. Transactions are processed through the same payment network

as EMV chip transactions.

Why aren't signatures or PINs required?

To ensure that using contactless technology is as simple and convenient as

cash, merchants that accept contactless payments do not require you to sign or enter

your PIN for small purchases of under R500. Some Merchants may request a signature

Is this technology as secure as my current card?

Yes. The MasterCard® or Visa security systems will continue to offer you protection from

unauthorised transactions. In addition, with contactless technology, you retain control of

your card during the transaction, which reduces the risk of fraud.

What do I do if my contactless card has been lost or stolen?

As with any other card, if you have lost your card or suspect unauthorised activity on your

account, stop using your card and contact the Customer Contact Centre on 0800 020

Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 2
Last update:
‎26-07-2017 03:48 PM
Updated by:

Comments
Ridwaan786
Occasional Visitor

How do I activate tap to pay using the app