Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Buying Apartment in the Uk?

DEP
Super Contributor
Is buying an apartment in UK a good investment? Has anyone on OST bought property in the UK? Rational: Currently Uk Property and the Rand/Pound are low.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
platsak
Super Contributor
Beware. There are different kinds of property ownership in the uk than here. Consult with an sa attorney that has a branch in the uk before buying. Rather do a due dilligence. Theres a lot of companies trying to peddle various properties this side because the uk buy to let investor has the local savvy to know that its not a good investment or area or too risky. Theres also a lot of tax issues.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Rather buy Liberty -International,i think the best investment any one can make, a long term trade.Remember getting out when u want to,gets top marks in my book.At the moment dirt cheap and at a price thats unlikely ever to be repeated.They have an agreement with SA so u avoid double taxation.An increasing stream of dividend income as well as capital growth make them a lot better than having to deal with exchange control etc....REALLY ONLY MY OPINION.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Good pointer - have just put Liberty on my watch list. Will do some reading.
0 Kudos
chas
Regular Contributor
Where can I find out more about Liberty international? Are these tradeable stocks on the JSE or on the UK stock exchange? Appreciate your advice.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
LBT is local.I once read an article in Finweek in which Monica Singer? was quoted saying ,that if ever something went wrong locally and the local government tried to seize the share market shares like LBT would be transferred to their home base,so were a safe bet....The article raised the hackles of our government and there was a lot of apologising and back tracking and it was said in a hypothetical case,but never denied by the JSE that that would be the case....The article was carried on the 15 feb 2007 and must still be availabe in FINWEEK's archive.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Liberty international has it's Primary listing in the UK so if you have Pounds you can invest on the FTSE. I don't like the idea of having property somewhere where I can't get immediate access to it so rather look at the LBT, I think your return will be better with a lot less hassle.
0 Kudos
Whatsup
Contributor
I bought an apartment in the UK a number of years ago, I am very happy with my investment and intend later on(when I semi retire) spending a couple of months there in UK summer (winter is *****). Currently rented with a managing agent looking after things. Taxation is paid in RSA, accountants add income(less interest and expenses)to my local tax return.Current interest accounts in UK very good for buy to let, have overseas Barclays account, moved money through legitimate reserve bank approval using overseas allowance. Your call, lots of hassles to make it happen in terms of banks,paperwork etc however whatever your longer term desire is you must decide. Lib Int good call, however invested in UK retail which is taking a bit of a bath at the moment, however going forward good upside potential.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Thanks Guys. Was think about LBT as an alternative investment. So rather invest 120,000 pounds in LBT than UK apartment? Is it better to take the money out and buy LBT via a UK bank or buying LBT on the JSE? Long Term.
0 Kudos