Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

For those of you that complained about the iPad and iPhone that doesnt support Flash

Werner_1
Super Contributor
Steve Jobs just released a open letter regarding Apple's/his thoughts on Flash and the reasons it was left out of the iPad and iPhone. See this link: http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
john_1
Super Contributor
I saw the Ipad last night for the first time.. Its hot.. I will buy one..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
John, yes, i agree, they awesome! my name is on the list for one at the waterfront iStore, I dont know if they will be in Germany, i think not because the global launch was postponed until sometime in May. it was initially set for 24th April or something but the demand was so high in USA that they moved it on, i think its now set at something after 10 May. I dont want to buy on the grey market so am waiting very IMPATIENTLY to get one -- Recently i bought a macbook - i have to say, its the BEST computer i ever had, it even performs more smoothly than my Quad-core/4GB RAM desktop PC even though it has half the RAM and is only Core 2 Duo, OS X is efficient, smooth, stable, has excellent graphics and unbelievably awesome! its really not that difficult to use once you know your way around (obviously not like windows, but a bit different)... I would advice anyone to buy a Mac anyday! I installed a program (free from apple) called XCode that is a development platform for developing Mac, iPhone and iPad apps, really cool and innovative, just need to learn 'Objective-C' now to be able to use it...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Just fly to New York pick up 20-30 for you and your mates and come home.. it will work out cheaper even with duties... you can have the first order from me.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Yip, thats a good idea... Its interesting you mentioned that, i read an article of some guy in San Francisco who tried to buy iPads to send to various people from around the world, Apple stopped him after he bought 5 and told him he reached his life-time limit - haha... nobody really knows what this is, and he couldnt get any info on it - i dont know if its true though - http://www.cnbc.com/id/36786176
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I read the other day that they say Apple could overtake Microsoft in revenues by Q1 2011... its very interesting. the 2 companies were fierce competitors over the years since the start of the PC, we all know where Bill Gates' ideas came from - if you dont know, look for the movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley"...
0 Kudos
Levitt
Regular Contributor
Just remember if getting one from overseas that Apple South-Africa won't help you if something goes wrong and you need it repaired, you'll have to send it back to where you got it from. Rather wait for the local release.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
yip, i thought of that as well. am waiting for local...
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Been following the flash issue, I think its either going to be fatal for apple or adobe. Either that or some new bridging tech comes along. This means that software and website developers will need two different production lines for the same product.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
HTML 5 will help though, I think Apple is not going anywhere and they really strong and have excellent products, maybe Flash has seen its best days...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Apple will not let any bridging tech work on their platform, they want the best apps for their platform and believe these cross-platform tools dont provide that - they will stop every attempt to get these products working on the platform for the sake of efficient use, user experience, stability, etc. Like Steve Jobs says "the #1 reason Macs crash is Flash!"
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
I'm not a big fan of flash myself, I think it lacks technological maturity and I avoid flash based wesites. Most of the time I disable flash on my browser to save on data. In the interim however, someones gonna hurt. I was wondering if the buyers of the latest apple products were made aware of the flash issues before they bought the products?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
good question. i think it was discussed quite a bit in public before release so if the buyers did research on the web, etc. they would possibly have seen that. but i am not sure. the issue of flash will not stop me from buying an iPad - i also dont really use flash much either.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
There are already rebuttals to SJ's blog entry. Here's one: http://j.mp/9Gza0v

I'm wary of developing for the iPhone. Jobs is a tricky oke and you never know when he'll turn around and nail you. For example, they've decided that the multi-finger touch is only for Apple apps. You can't use it on your own iPhone app. Why, if he's so worried about having the 'best' apps on the iPhone, would he hamstring them like that?

Look, I have an iPhone and it's very nice, but Jobs has his own agenda that isn't just milk and cookies for his beloved user. Many partners have found that out the hard way, many iPhone app developers really don't like him (or Apple) either. Note - Android has just overtaken the iPhone in web viewership in the U.S., according to a stat I saw this week.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I find it hard to believe that they would limit the iPhone to single touch for other developers, i downloaded an image editing app for my mac (free) that wasn't developed by Apple and handles multi-touch - this is not a iPhone or iPad but its one of their main products, so i don't know. I find the XCode environment very cool, it really is easy to make awesome apps - once one knows Objective-C which i am trying to learn properly now. BTW: its awesome using this macbook with the 4 finger multitouch. i love the way one can do things, it makes the whole process of working on a computer so much more fun.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/07/apple-rejects-ipad-app-for-pinch-to-expand/

- The developers allegedly hand-coded a pinch-to-expand feature for their galleries to match Apple's official photo app, but were told by App Store editors that the feature was "associated solely with Apple applications."
0 Kudos