Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Have anybody done this?

Not applicable
I see on the OST website under Tech analysis reports all these reports and items that tell you to go long on this share and go short on that share. Has anubody ever done that and what was the outcome. If I did what they say, would I become rich?
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
suki
Super Contributor
I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEM. THEY ALWAYS SEEM TO BE LATE FOR ME.
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
Their strategy is to buy when resistance is broken and short when support is broken which as, you correctly say, can be late in the day. But their record is good I just dont like them when they ignore warning signals.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
You can subscribe to the service and get the e-mail alerts. At the bottom of each report is a list of trades, both open and closed ones and the results.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Disagree that they are late - they almost always highlight beforehand when they plan to get into a stock. So they will tell you that they are looking for a closing price above x, before getting in. Also notice that their timeframes are longer term - ie they can hold a position for several months sometimes. So therefore you can still enter their suggested trades on pullbacks, sometimes even lower than their suggested entry points. I find the service very useful from two perspectives 1) It makes a decent alerting service and 2) while not explicit, I believe that there is inherent bias in the suggested trades, and that bias comes from access to an analyst research team that we don't have. I believe this bias is positive, since all TA should have some fundamental grounding supporting the decision
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
your point 2 not correct .. Mox does it purely on TA ..
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Snakepit, if you are unable to do your own TA to check if OST is correct and then decide your next steps in terms of entry trigger, position size, stop loss, target etc than following the advice on OST will make you very very poor.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Nope, Mox regularly states 'our bias is to the upside' or similar statements. My comment was that the bias was not explicit (all though in some cases it is) but the choice of equities, for example, carries some bias. Don't get me wrong, I think some bias is a positive thing, the trick with TA is not to let bias cloud your judgement.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure, but her bias is pure TA .. chinese walls ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
what, those things made out of bamboo and paper?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I am purely asking if these guys know what they are doing? Does it contain any real value or is the daily email I am getting just "SPAM" and does anybody use the information? If you do use it, what was the outcome? That's all.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Talking about the TA, I can't find todays on the site??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ahem. If the biggest bank in SA and also the biggest online brokerage tells the herd to stampede in one direction, and then in the other, who am I not to get my running hooves & Garmin out as well?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Vitor, I am rather flattered that you put enough importance on the trade volumes of us fellow forumites to suggest that our actions, in response to an OST tip, will swing the markets!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Who knows. You might be a fund manager. I might be, but then... Nahhhh.
0 Kudos