Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Short selling on companies that are unbundling (eg Telkom)

Junaid_1
New Contributor
How does short selling work in the case of unbundling ? I am referring to the telkom unbundling of Vodacom. If I sell Telkom short there is little risk of buying back the same number of telkom shares at a reduced price. I assume then that there is some additional constraints when short selling Telkom.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
DEP
Super Contributor
Are you trying to short TKG, then buy it back after the unbundling?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the unbundlign will be a neutral event to those short and long .. not with standing the possible value add or destruction that would naturally effect share prices and hence ssf prices ..
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Wont you be short vodacom as well on the listing date. Speculation is that its listing at 30% discount. IMO rather just give the money to the SPCA.
0 Kudos
Junaid_1
New Contributor
I am referring to selling it at the current price now and buying it back at the reduced price after unbundling, I assume that the Vodacom shares don't come with SSF contracts. My reasoning is as follows, telkom is worth +-R101 rand now. It should be worth around +-R70 after the unbundling. If I buy now and wait then the only risk I take is if the unbundling deal does not go through.(These figures are what I heard about from news articles and I don't know how accurate they are) I would expect that the ssf rules factor this in otherwise this would be a risk free transaction. I would like to know what those rules would be.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
If you short TKG now. After the unbundling you'll have to buy back TKG plus VOD. It does not work the ways you thinking. Therefore, be careful!
0 Kudos