Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

my stock pick strategy for 2011

Not applicable
I am dumping my underperforming blue chips and stalwarts - (redefine, BATS) and I am going to build up a portfolio of near term completion mines. Wescoal and Platmin are my current holdings with Pallinghurst giving me additional exposure, on the hunt for more. The second leg of my strategy is to load up on good ROCE small caps still trading at a reasonable price/NAV (below say 1.3) I am banking on the small cap sector outperforming - the stocks that has survived the last few years are ones that really know how to control their costs. They will most likely be looking at great GP's moving into the next bull run. Stef stocks is my first aquisition, busy looking at CIL, Gijima and Ellies (Ellies needs to improve its margins, IMO). Another stock that has caught my attention is Insimbi - but I haven't fully studied it yet. Sentula might also be worth a stab. The third leg is to nibble at the construction stocks. Everything else, I trade
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
WES
Super Contributor
The "analists" say that coal is the commodity for 2011, so how about COAL. They have high quality coal and don't sell a substaincial amount to Eskom so they can take advantage of the foreign market ?
0 Kudos
WES
Super Contributor
I agree with SSK, has Gijima sorted out the mess with the goverment ?
0 Kudos
BoburUncle
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I'd think twice about Platmin - have you seen how many times they've halved their targets over the last year or so?
0 Kudos
Dancing_Queen
Contributor
My whole investment strategy focuses on small caps. My basic philosophy is that my pension fund will by the blue chips. It is my responsibility to look at the rest. median 20% ROCE over the last 10 years is a starting point for me. I also try and normalise earnings and buy stocks on normalised PEs. I know that it doesn't matter whether you get yuor return in dividends or capital appreciation. However, for small caps I use dividends as a corporate governance screen (not fool proof I know). For what its worth my current holdings are: ISA, FWX, JSC, RLF, DGC, NWL, MFL, OLG, CBH, MML, PNC, BLU, RBX and ALT
0 Kudos
genie2b
Frequent Contributor
Last year a I did not focus that much on the market...only started in October with FSR and MRF...got the MMI shares...currently contempleting on holding FSR and MMI for long term, purely for divi's...if MRF does not break the 190 resistance I'll let it go, otherwise I'll wait for the 240 mark. Got in on WSL at 127, this was my first trade for the year, short term...Want to start with CFD's and see what I can achieve with it...if succesfull for 3 months straight, I'll push more capital. Keeping my eye on the graphs, if something interesting happens I'll act on it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
each to their own, but there are not many near term plat projects out there. Platmin and Aquarius are the best bets, and I can trade aquarius, so I buy and hold platmin
0 Kudos
Not applicable
W/Coal And Pal are good stocks. I've added Brait, Oceana, Pioneer and Coronation, all with + 5% DY%.. but keep for three yrs. I think we'll be on the receiving end of some inflation towards Q3 this yr , so also going to look at more food producers that normal pass CPI onto the consumer quite easily, thus increasing their margin. Also like DCT ..about 5.5 - 6.0% DY
0 Kudos