Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Friend's sad story- Car Insurance

bulenzimakwe
Standard Bank - South Africa Standard Bank Group Rubbish service from Stanic/Standard bank insurance. If I was a white person I'm sure I would not be suffering like this. This is one of the anti black business service. for 9 months i'm walking and my vehicle is lying in some panel beaters yard because of unfair and anti black service and yet I'm still paying for the insurance and vehicle installment.

On the 19th of March 2016 I had an accident with my vehicle Audi A4 ND 673 444 at Glendale, Hammarsdale area KZN around 21:00. I registered an accident report at Umlazi SAPS on AR179/2016 as required . On the night of the occurrence I tried contacting Standard bank emergency helpline without success. I was then salvaged by one of the tow trucks that were nearby out of the ditch where i had crashed. after an hour of trying to contact my insurance, I then managed to go through the emergency line after being salvaged for approximately an hour. I was than told by my Insurance not to allow the towing company to take my vehicle away as they were not registered under them, because they were not gonna pay them and could not be held accountable if anything happened to my car as Stsandard Bank Insurance. The towing company then demanded payment of R3000 for their work and they were threatening to take the car away if i didn't pay them. I negotiated with them until they accepted R1700 of which I paid. whilst negotiating I was called by the designated towing company to make arrangements for towing my vehicle and I explained to them the situation I was facing with the other towing company and they asked me to sort it out and call them when I'm done cos they were afraid if they came whist the issue is not sorted, there was gonna be a conflict that could jeopardized their safety and may cause conflict and rage. i was left with no choice as I was in fear and stranded I had to pay and call the designated towing company when the "coast was clear".

My vehicle was then towed after three hours of begging the other towing company to decrease the price as i couldn't afford the R3000 they were demanding on the spot. My vehicle was towed around 01:00 hours, on Sunday 20th March 2016 I called the tow truck driver to ask for collecting the balance of my property that was left in the car but I was told to wait for the working day. Sunday 20th of March and Monday 21 of March (holiday) passed then on Wednesday 23 March I called the towing company to know the where about of my vehicle as to collect my property, I was then told my vehicle was at 54 Henwood road new Germany. I headed there but my vehicle wasn't there and an Indian lady I found there at the yards office called someone who said my vehicle was in another storage I was not informed of, all of a sudden my vehicle was traced to be at Ross champion panel beaters in Pine town. I went there and met a gentlemen who informed me the vehicle was brought to them for repairs by Standard Bank. this came as a surprise to me because whenever I have to repair accident related issues on my vehicle, Standard bank would ask me where I would prefer to repair my vehicle. I then called standard bank to confirm that were they aware that my vehicle was at Ross champion and they declined that they knew and said Ross champion was not in their panel beater list. this came as surprise to me again as to who authorized the vehicle to be taken to the non registered panel beater. Days passed and I was panicking calling to ask when is my claim gonna be processed as the days were progressing and I had taken the courtesy vehicle and I could see the days were getting lesser and I would be left without transport if 30 days ended without my vehicle being fixed. On March 31 I received an sms informing me the assessor Brian have been appointed from AAA assessors scheduled to go assess my vehicle on the 1st of April at "Ross Champion" the non registered panel beater with my Insurance but my vehicle was still kept there from the 23 of March till the assessor date. I waited in panic still calling Standard bank to find out what is happening without response and feedback. On the 6th of April I then again received the sms notifying me that my claim was approved by Phumzile Ngcobela and all that time i had no Idea where my vehicle was. On the 6th of April I received another text message notifying me my claim was approved with Durban South panel beaters. again I was never asked anything with regards to my panel beater preference, I tried to query this situation with the ensurer but failed andI was told it was the assessors preference.

On the 12 of April I received an acknowledgment text "sms" from Durban South panel beaters, thanking me for choosing them as my vehicle panel beaters. Again without consultation. I then went to see where my vehicle was kept, on my arrival I was introduced to the Gentleman by the name of Keegan whom was appointed as my vehicle service adviser, I then requested to see my vehicle as I was not sure what was going on. Again I was told my vehicle in the storage and they were closing. I then asked them why my vehicle was still kept at storage without repairs the response was they were waiting for parts to arrive and I was requested to come back again. I then returned on the 14th of April I was informed the vehicle is dead they tried Boosting the car but failed then I left. I then returned the following week to check the progress as I was promised the vehicle was gonna take a short period of repairs as I had emphasized my transport problem should the repairs take long . On my arrival Keegan informed me that they made findings that my vehicle was damaged underneath some pipes, covers and parts were damaged had to be changed and he showed me but the assessor never saw these because he never hoisted the vehicle to do a thorough inspection I was told to wait as they had put claim for those extra parts. I was getting more frustrated and tried calling standard bank to discuss extension for my car rental as I could fore see the dilemma I was heading for but i was promised the matter was gonna be discussed when the time comes. on the other hand I was requesting for vehicle assistance from the panel beater who kept on promising me to help till never. On the week of the 18-22 April I made numerous visits to panel beaters to plead for transportation as well as numerous telephone calls to the insurer to let em know the situation they had put me in with the assessors but no one could help. I kept on being brushed off as they were not prepared to extend my courtesy vehicle. I was also given the number to Standard Bank Vehicle renting department at the Head office in Pretoria to plead or request them to help with the situation but none answered those numbers including Branche Davids number. On the 26th April Avis called requesting their vehicle I sent the vehicle upon delivery I was requested to pay R640 in addition of R1200 I had paid on vehicle receipt. I was now transport less or vehicle less.

Weeks progressed to Months with my vehicle in repairs and I running around requesting updates from Standard bank and panel beaters and also making phone calls with regards to my transportation infringement issue till I got exhausted. after Avis took their car I started hiring peoples cars so I could survive. three (3) months after my vehicle had been stuck at Durban South panel beaters. On the 25th of May I received a call from standard bank Regent number 0118585000 and the lady asked me if i have received my vehicle and I told her no and she asked me did the panel beater give me a courtesy car and again i told her no and she said ohh shame" and said she was gonna call them and get back to me, that never happened. I then visited the panel shop it was the week of 30 May - 03 of June upon my arrival at panel beaters I was told they had completed the repairs of my vehicle but when they tried starting my vehicle it couldn't start so they called the assessor and the assessor instructed them to bring the vehicle to him to take it to AUDI center/dealership I asked when did this happen I was informed it was on Thursday 26 May I asked why wasn't I informed i then received the indication that such queries were to be addressed by assessors. On the 30th of June I received a call from the assessors "wanting"a letter to give consent to the agents to strip my engine and demanded that i commit my self to pay if the outcome indicated the vehicles error is not accident related i than starrted to be suspicious. on the 01st of June I gave a written consent that the dealership can strip the vehicle under the claim number SHS16030467582 and all costs to be charged at the claim not me. on the 10 of June I received an email from the assessors telling me that the vehicle is not functioning not because of an accident by i must be accountable of cost incurred.

I then phoned Standard bank insurance as this was frustrating me and had no idea what was going on. I spoke to Phumzile who also assured me that there was nothing standard bank could do if I need help I should call assessors of which I did and they said I should go to AUDI for clarity. I ran around but no one could clarify what happened to my vehicle besides that my engine oil pump was physically broken, the engine is rowdy, not idling,carried out pressure test, excessive play on pistons, found both cams scored oil and no SIGN of accident damage. On the 27 of June I received a very traumatizing call from the panel beaters that should immediately come pick up my car as it was back in their workshop, I then asked him if my car was sorted he said no but I must come get the car as he needs the space, I must come with a tow truck as my car is disassembled there is no engine in the car my car came back in bits and pieces. as my vehicle was wasting his space he promised to start charging storage fee as from Friday 01 July on accumulation without pay he will sell my vehicle cos he needs to pay his costs of R18268.40 with shock and disbelief I ended up going to his workshop and storage and captured some pictures that disturbed my trust in standard bank and its entities... as this figure includes R13268.46 Agents check, R2500 towing, R2500 excess. To my surprise when I went to Audi the price I got for vehicle check was R10567.80...

I need some intervention as 9 months is a very long time paying installments, +-R2400 insurance premiums, tracker fees and licencing for the car not in your possession. consumer protection and OMBUDSMAN seem to be failing. i owe far less for that car compared to the demage value and thats why I they dont wanna fix my car'yet... And this is my car current state at Durban South Panel beaters at prospecton.