Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

SSF's - cost alot to keep them over the weekend

djw
Regular Contributor
Finding that holding onto your positions for the weekend costs alot. Spend the next few days just trying to make up the losses incurred - do you guys sell your positions before the weekend or just ride it out?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Brazen
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
djw
Regular Contributor
Hi Brazen - Had Mittal Long and on Friday the account was up about R2k - On Sunday when the market was closed - the account was down about R600. Was wondering if you should sell on Friday or just keep the psoitions
0 Kudos
Not applicable
djw u not alone playa.....same prob here....but to be honest,u don't really have to sell on fridays.....cbw and omo.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
ok djw - see what you mean. I've had that too. It happens when the SSF reflects the bid price, over Christmas there were no bids on something I had and my balance was minus 90K or something. Bit horrifying but it was back to normal when the markets opened again. An expert could explain better that me, but I think they set it late in the evening. And before that you get the bid price reflected.
0 Kudos
trigger
Frequent Contributor
Yip, it is the bid price which is reflected no matter how bad after the auction - interest on 500K is +- 110 R/day, I don't think it would be worth selling and buying back on Monday - chances are the share has moved away from your original position anyway.
0 Kudos
cfm
Super Contributor
Forget about what our intra day profit/loss is unless it gets close to a margin call. Just watch the underlying to determine if you should hold or sell.
0 Kudos