Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

A little help with my maths please

john_1
Super Contributor
Since I am a numeric retard, And have not done any maths that does not include a calculator for 15 years, I would like a little help with the Larry Williams Forumular.. (period high- todays price)/(period high -period low)* - 100= daily value. That part is easy.... Now what I want is the daily price if the end value is 20 ...........( period high - X)/(period high -period low)* - 100 = 20 how do I rearange forumlar to get at X value please.
0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
cfm
Super Contributor
(period high-todays price)/(period high-period low)*(-100)= (daily value)
todays price = (daily value)*(period high-period low)/100 + (period high)
0 Kudos
Equidis
Contributor
((H-X)/(H-L)) - 100 = 20
X= 80H - 80L + H

my maths aint that good either, this is of the top of my head
0 Kudos
Equidis
Contributor
go with cfm, his looks better
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If the original formula is (H-X)/(H-L)-100 = 20 then the correct formula is X = 120L - 119H
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
LOL, tis is bril, John dont feel bad, none of the answers are correct so far but they are getting close!!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
What is the formula? It's difficult to tell from your quoted formula:(period high- todays price)/(period high -period low)* - 100= daily value whether you multiply (period high- todays price)/(period high -period low) by -100 or submit 100....
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
mit - tract, its all in the *....
0 Kudos
destech
Contributor
johnny baby . . if the original (H-x)(H-L)-100=20 is correct, then x = (HH-HL-120)/(H-L)
0 Kudos
destech
Contributor
Simplified further x = H - 120/(H-L), only if (H-L) not = 0
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ermm - John, what Larry Williams formula is that?
Isn't 'The' Larry Williams formula used for figuring out position sizes? and uses account size, risk% and drawdowns in the equation?
Or are you referring to the Williams%R formula?
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
I think you right AvS. in amibroker, this is

function PercentR( periods )
{
return -100 * ( HHV( H, periods ) - C )/( HHV( H, periods ) - LLV( L, periods ) );
}

0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
and i think resolving for C would leave you with:
C = -1 * ((20/-100)*( HHV( H, periods ) - LLV( L, periods ) ) - HHV( H, periods ) )
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
or in terms of your original Q john:
todays price = -1 * (((20/-100) * (period high - period low) ) - period high)
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
...and all the Larry's are the same thing
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think most of the answers are the same thing - just arranged differently . . . here's my attempt.
The equation as I see it is: (h-x)/(h-l)*-100 = 20
Solving for x we get: x = h-(20(h-l))/-100

I assume you're trying to project an EOD price if the LW indicator is at a certain value? Ya?
You not trying to figure out position sizes??
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I have not laughed this much in a while. I get it thanks guys but for those of you who are interested is( * ) is a multiply sign so it is not 100+20 but 100 multiply 20. thanks for the effort guys and girls.
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
AvS - you seem to be quite a bof when I read all your technical replies on the forum. How long have you been trading ?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Why do I feel like I'm being hustled . . . ? :-)
A very wise man once said "If I had all the technical savvy in the world, and could analyse charts to distraction, but had not common sense, then I am nothing but a clanging cymbal." or something like that . . .
I've been trading 2 yrs or so CE, but I've had some awesome mentors - which might explain why I haven't wiped out my account yet.
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
0 Kudos