Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

A technical summary from our man Murrary

john_1
Super Contributor
Wall Street leapt higher by over six percent on Friday, an impressive one-day gain but only the fourth biggest since early October (the S&P500 (800) rose by 11.6% on 13 October, by 10.8% on 28 October, by 6.9% on 13 November and by 6.3% on Friday). Two swallows do not a summer make and four enormous up days do not a bull market make. Indeed, the composite was still down 8.4% for the week as a whole. Friday's gain, although big, has not resulted in a higher high, nor a break of downtrend resistance, nor any reversal of the prevailing downtrend. Accordingly, we remain bearish. That said, we do want to draw attention to the chart above. When the composite broke below support at 1300/1250, we pointed out that the next major support level was the lateral one at about 800. Now that the composite is at this level, we think it a likely place for a bounce. There's no proof of this yet (i.e. the downtrend is intact and we therefore remain bearish), but our analysis shows that the chance of a bounce now is higher than it has been since June. How would one know, technically, if a bounce was underway? The composite would need to make a daily close above the late October and early November lows at 852. This would produce a higher high and break the downward `staircase' pattern. Should this occur, we'd have targets of 1006 (+26% from current levels) and 1100 (+38%). On the other hand, our downside target is still massively lower if this lateral support level does not hold: should last week's low of 752 be broken, our new target will the 1993/1994 highs at 480 (40% lower). We see this as a key week. Last week, we pointed out some extreme statistics. Here's another one from Friday: 10-year Treasury yields dropped from 3.74% to 3.20% (after touching 2.99%, the lowest since regular sales began), falling below the S&P500 dividend yield for the first time since 1958.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
DST
Super Contributor
Interesting to see a bottle-spinner wrestling with fundamental anomalies ...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Quite few industries have to fail from now onwards in order to get to 480. Long term Bear probably has that level in sight, but I don't believe short term. That will be some Bear on steroids!! With City Group getting a bail out, that may just be the next motive to get us to that 852.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
So - it could tank like a Russian sub, or it could rally like there's no tomorrow. I wonder if JP Morgan will pay me a big fat salery!
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Salary..JPM..for what.talking to us??? No wonder Gravy has such a headache!
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
I don't talk to you lot for the money Wiz! It's purely for the fame and the glory.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
I need a drink this early in the week..but Gravy now needs a bailed out!!
0 Kudos