Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Alsi Backtesting

Not applicable
I'm looking for a backtesting platform for the Alsi (15min)...is anyone aware of a service that can provide that many thanks
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Not applicable
E signal, bit expensive though
0 Kudos
Not applicable
thanks frost. i'll have a look
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
why do you wanna back test? I found it a largely useless process, to many variables.
here's my method for 'testing' a system to see if it works .. http://www.justonelap.com/webinarDetail.asp?intWebinarID=24
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon, i have that webinar.... :) and a few others. thanks! i have backtested my system for the month of may but i still feel as if i need more info as to its drawdowns especially... am i being overly cautious
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
draw downs are a real issue and my method will not give you huge info on such .. problem with back testign is always 3 issues which you do not know .. spread, slippage and hence actual entry/exit price .. now they can seriously stack up and as such make the back testing much not use ..
my 5c ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
one month wont give you reliable data to work on..easier way get 3 or more systems back tested on your month of may data, use these to paper trade for 3 months best outa the bunch u use..ie wont do it that way but like u said u dont have enough data to work with
0 Kudos
Not applicable
i actually compared my system to a 'popular' trending system over may and my system performed better even with way more trading costs. the backtesting is time consuming though...probably better to focus on trading it objectively and letting it play out over a decent run. are full mechanical systems better then part mech/discretionary systems for intraday trading.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
trade is real small for a year or so .. that'll give you history than you can up the trade sizes there after .. of course discipline the key, otherwise you have no metric ..
0 Kudos