Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Anyone Notice the Spreads are unusually wide today on most share?

Electrox
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
Not applicable
Its not the spreads.The sbk site is on a go slow and freezing
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
Nope Im watching on GT247 and ideal CFD's.. The spreads are quite wide today
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the cfd players give you a manufactured spread, so the widness may be because they're increased the spread and as such their profits.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Electrocox...this is the thing I keep Harping on about to John....things like the Alsi....usually has no spread whatsoever....maybe 5 pts...it is so liquid you can always get your price....the guys he trades with however rip him off ...their spread is close to 50 pts....= to ZAR 500...why would you wanna trade this?
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
And the Other Thing Is What the hell is going on with IPL.. 1 share traded here, anoother 4 shares traded here... Some one is playing with the prices here. dodgy
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Ah one of those days...I would have thought getting rimed is somthing you would consider to be a pleasure...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
err chartist, as you claim no spread, alsi futures is sitting at 18 point spread ... small, but not zero ...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Where do you get 50 p from ??? 30 not 50, Chartist it is 30 GET IT ??????
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Truth is hennie..it is 6 points wider than the market. that is all! current spread on DWT 17760 /17770 on IG its 17754/ 17776
0 Kudos
Not applicable
John please lets stop the obfuscation....you buy with a stop do its 30 plus 15 =45 pts....why are u so disingenuous? 17882 17885 on the actual market right now....thats 3 pts as opposed to 45 pts...thats a 1500% difference!!!!!!!!!!!!...come one who are u fooling?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon...I dont know what prices u are looking at but I am looking at the real bids and I dont see what u are seeing...of course in times of volatility there can be a bigger spread...but heres the difference and its a big difference....I dont have to accept the spread...i.e I can and always wait for the spread to be tight or for it to come to me...cause I can see the depth and where the orders lies...with the spreadbetters the spread is fixed....and you dont get to see what u are actually buying or selling...by even comparing trading the direct market to spreadbetting is doing the readers of this forum a disservice...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
direct safex feed, which is closer then what you see as dwt have to route it via their platform first to get to you. My point was simple, so say no spread or 5 pts is dead wrong. Am I nit picking, why of course yes. But your statement was still not 100% correct however one spins it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
note I said usually...there is absolutely no preceptable difference between SAfex and the feed I get..Simon believe me I know...as you know I do many many trades a day and if the spread was anything more than the 1 pt the take I would be in the poor house by now...when you trade a real spread you can manage the spread if you trade an artificial one you cannot...there is a HUGE difference....the one is doable and sustainable...the other is not....believe me I have tried....maybe I am just shiite at this?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
No Hennie ..I dont get it...cause I see it here in front of me in black and white...30 pts plus 15 pts =45....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I do of course understand why your posts are so tendentious....anything that cuts out banks and brokers and more user friendly than the banks manufactured products is a threat...
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Chartist,i understand John gets his feed from dwt.Where do you get yours from.I'm a bit lost here.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Then who are the guys you trade with (who rip you off,according to Chartist) and who are the guys he trades with?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I do not trade with IG index....please do not speak for me ...your record regarding details is shocking....John...your reply re the spreads really shows incredible ignorance...the spreads on the ALSI...(it has nothing to do with DWT) are dynamic .....at any one time the spread can be zero....if u are a relatively small contract trader the spread is effectively zero...I almost never if I am buying bid at the offer...and vice versa with when I sell..the spread is essentially what you make it...by placing bids judiciously...I think my videos amply demostarte that I can buy and sell at pretty much any price without having to stardle a spread...with IG however it is fixed at 45 pts....thats a current levels is .5% move on the index....carzy carzy carzy...I say it again crazy....if you prepared throw the equivalent of ZAR 950 away before u even trade then u are an idiot....so just in case you forgot you have to deal with the spread coming out as well....tell me now in all honesty and with an dispassionate brain do you think this is smart?...
0 Kudos