Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Bear traps are causing immense pain...

Not applicable
This is not a market in which the bulls are in control.....the bears have their traps laid and they are huge traps...300-400 (14 h25 as an example) pts at a time and as quickly as it takes to say "fork dis eina"...the bulls are no taking any headway...all they are doing is exhausting their capital....its 2 steps forward and 5 back....
0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
Not applicable
forget to add that my strategy is to sell the rallies as soon as they lose momentum.....
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
This long term bull is LOVING IT. I'm happy to have bought banks and certain retailer's shares from the bears in this market.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
LG...did u see my post re sector rotation?
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Hi Chartist; so are you saying the financials revival is real and we should go in?? Verstaan nie mooi wat jy bedoel nie. I went in on STXFIN at 6.00 while back and holding, but my GLD is flirting with stoplevels.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
I should have taken note the other day when you mentioned retailers,at the moment i'm holding back till Mboweni has his say,as if confidence is restored then the run up ought to be quite rapid....My fancy at the moment is JDG and Woolies,but have bought neither.
0 Kudos
CrownA
Super Contributor
Yeas Mr Cryptic Chartist? Say what you mean, we are all hanging on your words of wisdom, please don't talk in riddles...
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Lets hope he does not increase AND is a lot more dovish on inflation. Woolies is increasing its food floor space 21% and clothing 4% this financial year. I continue to hold WHL. Furniture stores.... eish. I'm not fond of them, but have kept my eye on LEW.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
My 2c worth regarding sector rotation... On a relative strength basis, i.e. Financials vs Resources, financials have not yet broken the longer term resistance trendline. Use the FINDI 30 vs RESI 20 as an example of relative strength in the two sectors. Banking Index has also not yet closed convincingly above resistance, downtrend still very much intact, although I'll be shorting with extreme caution.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Sorry, Wena's posting written by Skippy. Not Wena.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
WENA. your comments are worth 2c. LOL
0 Kudos
scandal
Super Contributor
Yes the bears have laid their traps. It's a tough market out there at the moment. The hurricane season is around the corner and about time for oil to recover as supply issues pop up. A lot of money has left resources and pushed the banks. however this remains a dilemma for the small guy out there. Which sector to go long on ... was long banks with tight stop and not out waiting for oil to change direction. I reckon we might see small bounce on resources in the coming weeks. OMHO
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
Split personality there? errr ..Skippy or is that errr Wena...
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Once again we see the bear traps working with brutal efficiency.....I dont see this modus operandi changing any time soon....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
today just before the close (despite Dow weakness of 100 plus points) we rallied 150 pts and most were thinking..."ok so this is a nice little closing short squeeze...nice to see the market strong in the face of international weakness"...the bears had set the trap...we plunged 530 pts in a matter of minutes....this is the nature of bear traps....
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
Does this mean that the bears (who where the bulls on resources) set the traps on banks to make the money now shorting banks and then to buy resources back at cheap prices?( maybe around now )boy this is like one massive psycho game if this is wats happening.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
its not all premeditated as the word trap may suggest...more a description of a phenomena....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I read "Bear trap" as a trap set to catch bears? Chartist, do you mean that you read the market with traps for bears in resources at the moment?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
nope a bear trap is a trap set by bears...e....what the bears do though is give the bulls an opportunity to rally....they do nothing...just sit back and wait....and look to be able to sell at an even higher price...maybe a few of the bearcubs actually help the rally as their testicles are not fully developed and they succumb to the squeeze but the pappa bears just love that....
0 Kudos