Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Buy today, sell by month end

ABuzz
Super Contributor
I have a R100k which I would like to invest today, but need to cash out by month end. Any advice on what share/s I could buy which would give me growth by then?
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
DCTrader
Super Contributor
Old Mutual instalments... OMO
0 Kudos
Not applicable
JDH... hehehe.. (that was a joke!!!)
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
Be sure to take into account the 7 days it takes for your cash to settle after a sale....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
SAB! It's going to run.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Im with you on that one. just not sure how the market will react to the news about the intention to accuire Scottish and newcastle for $12 billion. Im sitting with 20% of my portfolio in sab shares and bought 30000 SABSBH last week. bout time the dog made a move
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the boring but real answer is a bank account.
0 Kudos
trykid
Contributor
What about SIM or is it too late. Will SAB the better option between the two?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
to elaborate further. With a trhee week view you're not gettign growth - you're gettign risk.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
ABuzz
Super Contributor
Thanks for your conservative view Simon. I just thought if I invest in say 5 shares, each R20k, after brokerage etc (rounded) that's 1% either way (buy and sell), so if I get 5% growth even on 3 out of the 5 I will still be up by month end. And with the market in a general upward trend I think it would be plausible?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
and you could yet another correction and land 5% down... we have an interest rate decision coming up... the US is getting more upset with Irans continued dabbling in nuclear technology... eish... and to try pick the right shares hmmmm...
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
Your scenario is possible, but here is another one - we've had only 2 red days out of the last 15 on the Top40 index. We're right at the top of a well-established trading channel and a healthy correction is due soon. Look at the last correction - depth was about -8.5%, and played out over around 12 trading days. What do your calculations look like if the same thing happens again? Make sure you do not risk money you can't afford to lose. Or at least lose the distance to your stop level. What if your R100k is only R90k in 3 weeks time? I'm not saying don't do it, but don't go into this market all starry-eyed
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I can see that you have already made up your mind, but you would be wise to reconsider and listern to the forum Pin up( Simon) , he has sage advise.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
or if we have a crash and the R100k is only R50k in three weeks?
0 Kudos
Taurus
Super Contributor
Give it to me and i will give you R120 000,00 on 10/05/2007..the rest is mine...
0 Kudos
ABuzz
Super Contributor
Thanks Simon. i can afford the 8,5% correction if it played out, not your 50% crash scenario though, so advice heeded. Appreciate it!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ABuzz, that's the route to understandign risk. The what if and here we always focus ont he upside side neglecting the what if downside as well.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
and now for the k@k scenario, you dont buy shares and bank it in a money market account... (although if you have an access bond rather stick it there) murphys law (b1tch) says if you had your eye on a few possible share and dont go through with the transaction they will on avg rise 10% by month end...
0 Kudos
scandal
Super Contributor
ABuzz... if you feel that you cannt afford to lose the money then keep it in the bank. However if you have an appetite for risk then go for glory. No heores nor fallen heroes are made by sitting at home and watching telly. they are made out there in the trenches...
0 Kudos