Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Can Somebody please tell me why one trader buy and sell at the same time

Not applicable
Hi, good morning, I am a complete novice and would like to know why every day, I assume, one trader sells 200,000 STX40s and buys 200,000 with a share difference of about 7cents. Is this a form off "Stop Loss". If, as they are currently, share prices are going down is this a way to average out your stock prices??
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I'm sorry but what I am trying to find out is why does he do this? Is it because he wants to turn over his money. I see he may do the same thing 3 times a day. What hapenns when the price goes down? Does he stop and wait for prices to rise. Is his prinicipal to take a little often, or am I missing the point? regards
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
it is the market maker .. they are always in the market with volumes either side of fair value ensuring that the stx40 trades at fair value ..
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
My understanding is that the Market Maker is responsible for ensuring enough liquidity in the stx40 and that the stx40 closely tracks the top40 shares.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Where do you see this info that the same person is buying and selling?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks, now I understand. I have never heard that term before. So a "Market Maker" is probably a large institution that is trying to maintain the liquidity, of in this case, the STX40. By buying and selling at a fair price(small mark up) in volume they allow a free flow of buying and selling, and by doing this thay are ("Making a Market") actually helping the liquitity of this stock. Thanks Again
0 Kudos