Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Forex Trading

Not applicable
Hi Guys Does anyone know a good reliable (retail) forex trading platform... SB's spreads are ridiculous.
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
_nova
Super Contributor
[1] www.fxcm.com Reliable platform, 3 pip spreads on EURUSD, very good charting package that allows overlays and trades from the chart and shows your position on the chart. Very good news feeds but sometimes a bit slow on the uptake. Downside is that you can only go long or short, not both. [2] www.fxsolutions.com Reliable platform, 3 pip spreads on EURUSD, Very good charting package allows trades from the chart and shows your position on the chart. Also allows straddle trades (long and short) with a 6 pip spread. Their news feed is the fastest and best I've ever come across. There are many other platforms out there that I've tried and I prefer these two. Good luck
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Nova, could you please explain how one can benefit from a straddle trade. Surely the profit and loss from the long and short cancel each other out, but you have to pay commision on both trades?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks! I want to go long and short on forward (or future) contracts on different dates. If you are long a straddle (using options) then you hope for prices to stay in a fixed range, if you are short then if the prices either rise or fall far enough you'll gain more on the one option than its premium was. I use straddles to trade gold shares...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
but a straddle is a volatility style trade? spread trading has no volatility built in, so you want an option trading platform?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Exactly. I don't want to use a straddle strategy, I wanted to use different calendar dates when using futures because of cash flow issues. i.e. I expect the dollar to be weaker 3 months from now, less sure about the short term so want to match margin cash flow requirements. or just use forwards.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Isn't that equivalent to being out of the market, and only entering the 3-month-dated position when you think that the short-term volatility has played itself out (i.e. when you would have closed the short-term position)?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Sorry, I am being confusing... this isn't for trading purposes. I am wanting to match cash flows. I haven't received great forward rate quotes.
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
The only time you use a straddle is to protect a position, and particularly margin, during volatility so that you can ride it out without realising a stoploss or margin call and subsequent dilution of margin. The com is 3 pips and cheap when you work on a 100 pip stop. I seldom use it but it has saved my bum on a couple of stupid trades where I locked in the loss and rode out the whipsaw until I could exit the straddle without realising a margin call and a big loss. Thing about a straddle is you can ride it indefinitely without risking further margin. The only other time I use it is to hedge against the big players. Since they have serious margin they are able to set very wide stops of easily 500 to 1000 pips while small players like moi cannot risk more than 100 pips unless I want to destroy my risk/reward strategy. FX is straight forward: You have a pivot point and support and resistance levels around the pivot. Usually you will find long and short stopps around these support/resistance levels and it is a given that big players will squeeze these stops because the smaller you are the closer your stops are to the trading price. Here I sometimes use a straddle to ride out the stop squeezes when my entry point is too early. A straddle is not for profit, it's a defensive strategy only.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
but a straddle is an option strategy as it requires volatility?
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
Yes, you're quite right. I don't trade options, so can't comment. I'm relating a straddle to FX trading and how to use it to ride out volatility when the swings are bigger than your stops
0 Kudos