Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Four shares that are .....

barry_1
Super Contributor
....between Small and Mid-cap now interest me,as i feel they have IN MY OPINION ONLY VERY LITTLE DOWNSIDE LEFT.How long they are to be kept depends on the individual,some keeping till just after LDT date and some for a couple of years.I'll decide after the LTD date if i'm going to hang on to any.They are all dividend payers. They are: 1 DCT on the low PE of 8.8.See also the latest SENS update,they have a strong management team.The late Leslie Boyd helped them recover.LDT 4 MAY....2. PSG which has 18% in Capitec Bank and has been unusually punished for the sins of sub-prime in which they have no part. PE 3.8
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
barry_1
Super Contributor
PSG continued...their LTD date is 14 May....3.ILV with a pe of 17 which is about normal for SA shares.The market seems to be pushing this share LDT 29 May,some thing sweet may be happening!....4.PGR see latest SENS pe 6.4 and LDT 27 July, there are installments in ILV ,PSG and PGR. As always only my opinion.
0 Kudos
shares
Contributor
Hi Barry PSG agreed. I like the strong earnings and dividend yield. As you have pointed out they are not exactly embroiled in the sub-prime fiasco like the Northern Hemisphere banks are. Hopefully I will have the chance to pick up a few more at this rather low price. Have you taken a look at Zeder? A lot of PSG involvement there. A lower dividend yield but a high earnings yield which looks set to go higher. Haven't done much homework on DCT. So I'll reserve comment.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
ps please ignore the Leslie Boyd bit as i dont think he had anything to do with DTC.Sorry.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
See also Company News on DCT.Thanks for the ZEDER tip,i'll have anothe look at it.Along with Tango expected great things when it was launched,but disappointment with its earlier performance led to us selling out.It has a great future i think.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Of course instalments are better only taken for a shorter period as they carry an interest charge of about 11% pa.,so are perfect for run ups to certain dates etc.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
shares
Contributor
Hi Barry I've noticed that you are a regular user of share instalments to increase price increase and dividend yield through a bit of gearing. Obviously the price of instalments tends to show greater volatility than the underlying share but the real question is how do you manage the greater risk involved?
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Hi Shares,i'll attempt to answer this question.1.The fact that i take installments near usually only the final dividend ,in a way a kind of insurance that the there won't be a fall in prices as all shares peform well towards the dividend pay out.2.U will also see that directors and subsidery companies in the various shares would put in a price for huge quantities just below the trading range ,a kind of "floor price" as directors come under scrutiney of shareholders and it would not look good if share prices were seen to fall near results.3.When i buy i put an alert and a fixed stop losss of 14% below the price i payed.There after i would move it up every thirty days.NEVER A FLOATING STOP LOSS as installments are too volatile and the underlying share might spike up then down within a few minutes then triggering a sell and all the costs involved there in.4. as soon as ex-div i sell installments as they carry an interest payment of just under 1% monthly and once dividends have been payed in 90% of cases will definitelt drift lower.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Shares, hope u see tha answer i posted last night.,let me know if there is anything else .
0 Kudos
Maddog
Regular Contributor
Hey barry are u still holding those PSG installments came back from leave to find them 27% down hoping for a rebound soon ....the only thing that will create a nice rebound is a trading statment inexcess of 40% over previous period however they are coming off of a huge base so i am considering cutting my losses soon. Also what do you think is the reason for the low volumes of PSG shares
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
No my minus 14% fixed stop-loss triggered.How ever been in the market since last Thursday.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Seems to be sum of the parts doing better then the parent! Volume seems to be erratic.Dunno what the reason might be ,but looking back over the last two months volume seems to be about the same.Capitec and Zeder doing very well.I see that Pioneer is to seek a listing as well,last of the big private food companies,dunno if shareholders are rather funneling their funds in that direction?
0 Kudos
shares
Contributor
Thanks I got your explanation of how you balance the risk reward ratio of warrants. I found it interesting and it seems a pretty solid method of managing the risk of the transaction. I'm not so mad about Capitec, at least not until I see some big earning improvements and a favourable trading conditions for them going forward. I find PSG to be more to my liking currently. Note that Kaap Agri owns a large share of Pioneer foods and Zeder owns a large share of Kaap Agri. With the soaring wheat price (and rice, maize, etc) I'm upbeat on earnings. The SENS announcement seems to back this. It is certainly possible that funds are flowing into Pioneer via OTC trading. It's a solid company in terms of its brands and market position. If investors are confident of a successful listing then they may consider it a good investment. It seems to have come of a recent annual low. Perhaps it was too harshly punished for earnings which now seem certain to head up?
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Yes,interesting developments lie ahead for sure!
0 Kudos