Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Gold Mining Love

Not applicable
Thats a goldfields shaft collapsing under Standard Bank's HQ
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
How do one buy newgold?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
on the JSE, code GLD, or direct from ABSA.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I will qualify what I have said.. If you are buying a miner beacause you believe for a TA reason there is capital gain in a trade on a gold miner go for it and good luck...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Like not buying Harmony when it has made me 20% in 2 days. Those biases...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yip, those ones. Come be serious - a swallow does not make a summer, not even a decent soup. You can't honestly be suggesting that the past 2 days means that the last 10 years data is now out the window? And in the last 10 years there has certainly been money to be made in gold stocks, but the trend in gold stocks remains down (and the easy money has been made shorting gold stocks) while the trend in gold has been up for a while now.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Back in the day (10+ years ago) at my varsity there was a stats professor who only played the gold "movements". He would wait patiently for a couple of months, if not years, until gold companies had drawn back sufficiently and looked like they'd hit temporary rock bottom. Then, if some fundamentals turned out in favour (exchange rate, market crisis), he'd climb in and double his cash in a couple of days. That's the play I'm talking about, not investing long-term. He would laugh at anybody holding gold shares for long, yet gold companies had made him quite well-off.
0 Kudos