Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Gold and Plat.......AGL and BIL

YNWA
Super Contributor
Gracia's BOE: "DAILY TECHNICALS: 09 May. Gold versus platinum, Anglos and BHP Billiton recent volumes. Gold: The chart rebases platinum and gold in Rand and their respective local listed indices to 100 as at the start of 2006. Gold and platinum have moved up in rand terms by around 50% in this time period. This has to be contrasted with the indices, where the platinum index is up 140% over the same period, and the gold index is up a mere 10%. This shows the huge out-performance of platinum shares, but also highlights that relative valuations may be expensive for platinum stocks and cheap for gold stocks. A contrarian hedge fund strategy would be to short platinum stocks and go long gold stocks on the basis of a partial reversion towards where the Rand prices of the metals are trading. Anglos and BHP Billiton: Yesterday's sharp sell off in both Billiton and Anglos has not broken any upward trends. However, volume analysis does reveal an interesting divergence, showing down days seem to be accompanied by higher volumes, with more aggressive selling notable in the last month or so. Normally, volume should follow trend, suggesting that in an uptrend volumes should be higher on up days than down days. Yesterday's action mirrors that of mid-April, when selling on the 18th April showed much higher than average volumes traded. In the primary market in London, this divergence in volumes is not yet evident. While the divergence may be reason for concern, volumes are viewed as secondary, and only moves below the late April/early May lows at 37206c (Anglos) and 15825c (BHP Billiton) would question the upward trends."
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
abbi
Occasional Contributor
thnx for the info (+ bonus) I could understand most of it!
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Yes thanks,every bit of info helps.Am only holding ARQ and a small quantity of IMP.There is too much market churn at the moment,the market will probably start moving up towards the end of this month and into June with another sell off after the futures close out + - 24 June.Thats the difference between now and in the past when there were no future close outs long ago.Will only start buying lightly again in July,being careful around Sept and Oct.
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
Interesting....New York...Rio Tinto up 12%...BIL 5.4%....AGL 4.1%...TKG 1.2% & the Nikkei Futures are up 80 points.....looks like a resources led green tomorrow.
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
and me left kicking myself that i got stopped out by yesterday's drop in AGL. but then i only had myself to blame for jumping in midday of the same.
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
Kr!pto...could be hope....that Yankee exuberance got ahead of itself I think....BIL & RIO (what a fine couple they make, all rosy cheeked with the joy of courtship!), & Materials Index down in Skaapland this am. + rand strength could be factor...Adios
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
abbi...charts available @ http://X-Files.4shared.com/....look for Tech_Daily09May07...adios.
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
.....& the Nikkei has just gone red.....red in the morning is a sheperds warning...as the old wives say
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Y-ski baby, thanks for the tip on ANG yesterday. Holding support nicely with a stop at just below 300. Now if GFI would hit 119 my golds would be all in a nice row. Bit stormy here today what?
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
shot, i saw that too. what got me the other day was classic case of greed. had/have a nice little model working on AGL, and got out end of the day before at a nice 45% gain on a weeks holding, only to get suckered back in (for no really technical reason i hate to admit) by the midday drop of 2% on underlying AGL. ah, the joys of painful education ;)
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
No probs B, you might still get your chance on GFI....heading off to CT later for the BIG BASH, the weather is same as here....draughfty & sort of "dominoes at Forries" like.
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
...at least now you don't get 6 on the azz....that was a painfull education!
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Have fun! Proud day for you - I'm sure it's hard to believe it was 21 years ago that he first entered your life.
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
ah, sigh. those were the days. dont think they are even allowed to do that anymore? pity. the occassional lashing was good for our souls.
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
cheryl_1
Occasional Contributor
thnx! will do so this morning.
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
abbi../..cheryl?.....2 for the price of one, we are surely entering the age of Aqaurius...OK B, the gaunlets been thrown.....3 for 1 or I am closing my acc......yeah I know its in arrears but I can still close it.
0 Kudos