Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

How do I use futures prices to predict market

Not applicable
Hi guys, hi Simon. Could you please tell me how I would use futures prices to predict share prices. eg. What futures would I look at to predict the price of Pinnacle? And where would I find these futures prices? Also, how do I use the Asian and American market to predict our market movements. Thanks
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
john_1
Super Contributor
you stick the futuers prices onto toilet paper with prit, then use the toilet paper as instructed...if the futures prices get stuck -short the market if they flush go long...its very scientific!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Damn it I've been doing it the other way round. Oh well you live and learn
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Do simple technical analysis... on futures I normally use MACD, OBOS, RSI and stochastic oscillator, if all looks positive go long. Good luck
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
i think forign mkts and futures are only good for predicting the opening price. ie. because our mkt is closed, futures open earlear and dow futures trade 24hrs you can maybe use these to speculate on a higher/lower open. besides that i think it has vert limted prediction powers when mkt is open, as any change in futures happen same time as mkt.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
futures are really predicting anything .. they merely take the current price add interest and assumed dividends between now and expiry ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Why do people say you should check the Alsi futures to get an indication then?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure, for the 30 minutes from 8.30 before the equity market opens .. but frankly most futures traders are waiting those 30 minutes to see what equity does ..
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
So according to john, its all *****!?
0 Kudos