Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

I wannabe a day trader

HateGauteng
Super Contributor
I got a good job but I spend most of my time doing SSFs. I really want to become a full time day trader but I'm too scared. Most of the people on this forum are well experience in this. Please advise??
0 Kudos
64 REPLIES 64
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
short answer - be scared and keep your job .. long answer, learn, read, research and expect becoming a trader to be a process, not an over night event ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
are u good looking?
0 Kudos
ian_kotze
Regular Contributor
Take a month holiday and then sit at home and try it out, maybe you find that you must keep the job a while longer or that you have what it takes to make it work.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
With all due respect.....you obviously have enough time to trade which means u have a "dream job" and the best of both worlds. Bad month trading....your bills are still paid. I'm a full time trader for years and would trade places with you anyday....where some schmuck pays me for exactely what I'm doing. ADIOS!
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
I've been trading for about 8 months now. Managed to wipe out once, courtesy of 2 black swan events and trading in shares that dealstream was trading. I got back in since November and been sort-off breaking even. I find the numbers transfixing and have become addicted.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
....hence when I grow up I want to be SPB:-))
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Not bad if I say so. Trying to hide the thinning hair though.
0 Kudos
Jim_Bean
Regular Contributor
I've also had the same dream ... what are the average monthly costs of a day trader related to trading, which will need to be covered?
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
If I keep this up, I might get fired soon. Maybe if I get suspended I coulkd take Ian's advice :-)
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
So far for my needs, I worked out that I would need a laptop, internet connection, lube, captital and SSF trading costs. I'm not sure how taxation works. Could the more experienced traders assist?
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
simon says 99% don't suceed as day dtraders- so keep your job and change your attitude- trading is a process
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Certainly your record of generally breaking even and once wiping out does not point towards success. Find strategies that bring consistent growth and protect you from black swan events (which are guaranteed to come now and then) before quitting your day job.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
OK for those that do day trade as a living though - hands up how many of you love your profession?
0 Kudos
ian_kotze
Regular Contributor
I can not think of another job in the world better than this, had many jobs before and my own business for 7 years but this is way better even if i have a not so good month.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
truth is most small business fail...this is just another small business. The reason is the same.. it takes longer and uses more money than you expected.
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
HateGauteng, are you the same dude as the one that always posts on Fin24? Good luck trading...
0 Kudos