Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Is Bhp Billiton British, Australian or South African?

Lee_1
Frequent Contributor
How does its multi listings work? If you buy in SA are you only buying its SA interests? Are all its assets owned in Aus? Please educate me.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
it si the same share tradable on any of the 3 exchanges. But exchange contreols prevent us from doing that.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
BHP Billiton is a result of 2 companies that merged, one being BHP (Australian) and other Billiton (British) - so in actual fact the merged entity is British/Australian, but traded on many exchanges worldwide, including the JSE.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Simon, if one buys the BHP shares on NYSE obviously they all represent the same company, so is it fair to try to calculate the difference between the different listing and hope to get a relatively similar price, e.g. take the NYSE listing and do the ZAR-USD conversion to see how close it is to the JSE price? or does it not work like that? I saw SASOL's NYSE listing a few weeks ago offered a much better div yield than the JSE listing, any reason besides the share in NYSE falling more than JSE and the same div is paid??
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Billiton was an SA company listed in London (the old Gencor mining). Yes the share price will be largely the same taking into accoutn exchage rates (USA trade ADR's, which is 2 for every BIL). The real price is set were the most volume happens (more or less).
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Thanks for correcting me... for BIL, which is the largest volume market, LSE / ASX - possibly not JSE?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well OZ not important as they are in the wrong time zone. So London the likely answer.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
cool. i thought that would be the case...
0 Kudos