Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Knowing that I don't know

dreamgirl
Occasional Contributor
I learnt recently about the 4 learning phases: Unconsciously incompetent (blissful ignorance), consciously incompetent(too much stuff to learn & losing money), consciously competent, unconsiously competent.Confession: I am still stuck in the second phase when it come to trading. Note to myself: attend more training & read more books. Any other recommendations?
0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
topgun
Super Contributor
subscribe to www.stockpicker.co.za - this is a very good service at R269 per year!! also what books are you reading?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
There are only 3 things you can do when trading, BUY, SELL, and decided how much you are willing to risk IE DETERMINE YOUR EXIT, everything else is just noise.
0 Kudos
dreamgirl
Occasional Contributor
Currently reading "Become your own broker" by Jacque Magliolo
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Read all you can. Trading is not for everybody, but investing yourself for the long term is.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
john, and otpion #4 - do nothing.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
err that came out wrong. Doing nothing when already in a trade is not an option. Tis only an option before entering.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Yes SFM seems to pick #4 when it comes to my stoploss system. Stop chatting to me and go crack a whip over the techies heads mate.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I know what you meant but dream girl might like that in lights...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
thankfully these are not decisions we make on a daily basis even if we trade every day...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Hi there Chartist it has been a while since we had a chat. How is the day trading thing working out for you.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
The Zulu Principle (ignore awkward title) by Jim Slater is a nice read for newbies with good grounding principles for share selection. Once you have studied this book, you may be ready for more advanced reading.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
the book could interesting. where can i get hold of a copy, topgun?
0 Kudos
dreamgirl
Occasional Contributor
thanks for the suggestions,don't know though about option 4,seems like I'll miss the boat.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Dreamgirl the market(JSE) has been around since the 1880's and it will be here long after you are gone. there are oppertunities and risks everyday. Worry not about that just get your head ready.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I guess that chat will have to wait.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Luther I bought mine from Estoril some years ago - Exclusives should also have it, otherwise place an order with either. Good value for money.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
thanks, topgun. only crppy thing is i'm abroad and will be for some time to come. i looked on kalahari.net and they don't have it.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
try amazon.com - it is published by Orion Books in London
0 Kudos
Not applicable
as i posted, i thought of amazon. found it. thanks again.
0 Kudos