Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Lessons from 2011

Not applicable
Hi guys, I thought I'd share 1 or 2 lessons from 2011. Maybe it helps someone else out there have a better year than I did last year.

My two most important lessons:
1. Dont trade your own bias/expection on the market, if you have a system or a trading style then wait for those signals. Many times I've read bad news only for the shares/futures to go up.
i.e. Stick to your system and game plan.

2. Dont confuse your systems
Ive made many losses getting out of a position because another system would tell me this is where me stop loss is. If I'd stayed in that system that I was trading I wouldnt have had the losses. It comes down to know your system and stick to it diligently, dont confuse to systems, they're entry points or their exit points.

Hope you all have a good year.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Preston
Super Contributor
Never catch a falling knife cos 9/10 times it will fall further during closing auction.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
a loosing trade may have been well traded....
0 Kudos
WES
Super Contributor
Dont sell just because you see the profit, rather reduce your stop loss as a share can move futher up and you dont want to take profits too early whilst hanging onto losses, because overall you will lose, let the profits ride ! and cut the losses.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Stick to your system and stop losses and be patient when looking for good trades i.e. wait for your system's signals to enter and to exit.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Discipline is the key to success on the markets. It's not about fun, it's about seeing a trend & following it.
0 Kudos