Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Longs and Shorts

divz
Super Contributor
Interested to know who on this forum has a problem with going long or going short ie do you classify yourself as purely a bull or a bear.answer: if you only take long positions - 100% Bull only shorts 100% Bear or if you look at both say for example long/short 80/20?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Not applicable
I dont a a particular preference i prefer to read to market. Looking for under/over valued stocks.
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
I normally only look at longs (psychology of going short boggles the brain) but am busy paper trading shorts. Reason being if you can read the longs you can read the short and double your profits because you zig zag with the market.
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
I must say i struggled hugely with shorts and still get sweaty palms when im holding. Its obviously an inbred phsycholgical thing that we are geared to be positive all our lives and it goes against the grain to bet on something negative.
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
I have no inclination either way....as long as the trade makes sense, direction is irrelevant.
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
Ninja u stole my line. Would you consider a short on SHF or ANG once the head and shoulders pattern is confirmed.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
I don't like the properties of the instruments being used for shorting and as such I prefer going long whenever I can.
0 Kudos