Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Margin on Shares

faure
Frequent Contributor
I have a question/suggestion. I can trade SSF's at 10%-15% margin and SAFEX seems okay with that. What is to stop SFM from allowing us to margin at the same rate on ordinary shares? There would be way more liquidity and increased turnover = more revenue for SFM. They could charge something like 0.05% per day on the margin which wouldn't be such a big deal to us traders but x 365 days = 18.25% p.a. interest for SFM, pretty much risk free. Margin trading of shares is pretty much common place in the US. What am I missing?
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
faure. A fair bit of difference between margin trading and SSF trading. Margin trading says you own say 100 AGL worth R33k and SFM lends you some 40%-60% of this value. But they have the hard shares and you have borrow less then their value. With SSF you you put down a small bit of cash as security and a nasty move against you sees you owing more then what you put down. This is very very unlikely with a margin tarding account.

So short answer is that mnargin trading is way lower risk then SSF.
0 Kudos
faure
Frequent Contributor
What I'm basically getting at is why doesn't SFM increase the margin rate (gearing) on shares to the same level as that of SSF's?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
faure
Frequent Contributor
SAFEX accepts that level of risk. Why can't SFM?
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
If you are so keen to increase your gearing, why don't you just trade SSF or ALSI futures? The trading costs are much lower than for shares. Why insist that SFM takes on more risk than they do already?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
faure, you have me confused. You can trade SSF here and take the higher risk. Or you can use the margin option and take a much lower risk. SFM offers both as both have a market - it's up to you which you use (if either).
0 Kudos
faure
Frequent Contributor
I do trade SSF's but there are shares that don't have corresponding SSF's eg. SXR. My margin is precious to me so to buy the shares outright would be a big opportunity cost. The leverage SFM offers at 50% isn't all that much so I'm kinda stuck in a corner.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
for sure some stocks don't have ssf's on them. This is a liquidity issue more then anything else.
0 Kudos