Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

New mine and upgrade of Buffelsfontein

scandal
Super Contributor
JOHANNESBURG (Dow Jones)--First Uranium Corp. (FIU.T) has begun hoisting ore at its Ezulwini Mine in South Africa, where a gold plant is scheduled to be commissioned in April and a uranium plant in June next year, the company said Tuesday. First Uranium, which is majority owned by South Africa's Simmer & Jack Mines Ltd. (SIM.JO), bought the Ezulwini project in 2006 and began underground development in February. The company said its first priority was to rehabilitate the main shaft, and the first phase of this work has been completed. Ezulwini is an underground mine that has two separate ore bodies about 400 meters apart, the Upper Elsburg which is gold bearing only and the Middle Elsburg which is a gold and uranium deposit. The mine produced gold from the 1960s until 2001 and uranium between 1982 and 1997, but in 2001 commodity prices declined to the point where mining wasn't economical and it was shuttered. The company also said its board has approved an $11 million capital program to raise the mining rate at its Buffelsfontein gold project to 630,000 metric tons a month from 500,000 tons a month. It said it will proceed directly to a full feasibility report for the project by November, bypassing a pre-feasibility report. The acceleration follows the acquisition in June of the adjacent operations of Mine Waste Solutions. "The progress we have made to date gives us greater confidence that the Ezulwini Mine and the Buffelsfontein tailings recovery project will meet their production targets on schedule and on budget," Gordon Miller, president and chief executive of First Uranium, said.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Not applicable
word has it that if you camp yourself downstream of the mine along the buffelsfontein spruit you may be able to collect some uranium of your own ...in the water!
0 Kudos
MFA
Occasional Contributor
hahaha, thats 1 way 2 get ur money back if the share tanks
0 Kudos
MFA
Occasional Contributor
wait, hang on,uranium is radioactive right? will just take my losses on the chin in that case.
0 Kudos
K-O
New Contributor
Does anyone know what is going on with FUM, 19%+ rise today with only 3600 shares traded on 18 sep. what is the feeling on this share??
0 Kudos
Titanium
Contributor
If you want to track First Uranium properly you should follow on the TSX code: FIU. (up 3.5% tonight - good news for SIM) http://www.tsx.com/HttpController?GetPage=DetailedQuotePage&SelectedSymbol=FIU&RowNumber=1&DetailedV...
0 Kudos