Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Now that is what I call a gap

Not applicable
Gap traders licking their lips in eager anticipation?
0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
Not applicable
Doubtful to it being closed today, unless any good news from Japan..
0 Kudos
koos2
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Boet, Asian markets fell almost as bad yesterday, but we didn't even blip. This is all overnight futures action - gap could easily close. Just trade it like any other gap
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
What's the difference between this day and the "big gaps indicate direction" day?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I agree good chance for gap close.Wave 4 up.We at 127 fib level.Just be patient as we might go to 161 level before gap close.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Really simple. I am a swing trader, so I look for indications that the gap close has run out of steam. Today, I shorted pre-market at 29216, but would have exited at around 29230, as my candlestick pattern would have been negated. I am still in, but will exit at my entry point. I will go long at 29250 for a gap close play - unless we get a really convincing engulfing candle at these current levels
0 Kudos
Not applicable
To add to my comment, in answer to your question Richard - gaps are indicative of overall direction, IMO, but that doesn't mean a gap won't close - it just means that my trading rules are to look for short setups. Having said that though, a gap close trade is a pretty powerful, so it is one setup that I will trade contrary to my short setup rules, if the gap is big enough.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Just for the record, I bought a long at about 8:31 :)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
At what price, if you don't mind me asking? You will need to keep your stops quite big to ride out the FTSE opening volatility, since you don't have a lot of protection, in terms of gains, IMO
0 Kudos
Flyguy
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
27120 on the ALSI Mar-11 (currently 27180), which was in hindsight a mistake since it'll have to be rolled - I forgot that June opened today.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Skaap.What exist strategy do u use for this gap.I have a trailing stop of 100.Will posibly reduce to 50.What do u recommend?
0 Kudos
koos2
Super Contributor
Please clarify, what is your roll-over hindsight mistake? I don't understand. You just get charged for 1 leg on roll-over, or do you lose out somewhere else? I don't get the mistake..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I don't use trailing stops, I take profit, based on price action depicted by candles. If I exit prematurely, and the market continues, then I have what I call a 'hounds of baskerville' situation (read Van Tharp for an explanation), and I get back in. Market is trending in what I call a 'reluctant uptick'. It is moving up, but not very convincingly. A 50pt trailing will get you stopped out almost certainly. I have exited 27240, because price action didn't support the breakout. I like to see volume spikes at least in support of a breakout.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
your reluctant bounce should be viewed as a better selling oppertunity to get shorter
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks John,you are correct!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Nah, my rules don't allow for this. New daily highs formed after FTSE opening and a huge amount of price resistance at our opening. Each to their own, I guess
0 Kudos