Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Question for John

john_1
Super Contributor
What exactly is your problem Chartist...What I do makes a consitant profit, has very little stress and makes me a good living...I am not sure what your point is..I AM NOT A DAY TRADER I AM A SYSTEMS TRADER!!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
John....we are all trying to learn from each other here....so it doesn't help when egos get in the way cause they lead to (to put it kindly) a less than complete representation of the truth....to state in the way that you do that you made a profit from an "overnight trade" in which u were short when the market opened higher is blatantly misleading....especially when what we were discussing is the merits (or demerits) of holding overnight. The fact that you made a profit on a trade which you hold overnight ignores the fact that had you NOT held overnight you would have made more profit....time to get real John...we don't benefit from fooling ourselves (or others)
0 Kudos
ian_kotze
Regular Contributor
Agreed John, use any and all means as long as you manage to make a profit. Everybody develops their own personal style of trading.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
We were not discussing the merits of an overnight trade...we were dicussing the DEALING COST of a protected trade with a guarenteed stop and the benifits of doing it with insurance....it was only your ego that got in the way of that conversation. As for my trading decisions I will not and do not have to justify it to anyone but myself. If anybody would like to see my balence or my dealing summary they are more than welcome to ask and I am more than hapy to send it to them..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
john, we'd rather you sent us wine. you being in CT an all, an the new trilogy is apparently one of the best ever ...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ian...I couldnt agree more...u have to use the system which works for you...mo mattter how convoluted or idiosyncratic it may be...no arguments there...you see the problem with John is that he claims to like to trade the gap ...well certainly from the email correspondence he has had with me regarding gap trading....so whats the problem with that? Well you cant be a "SYSTEMS TRADER" as John claims which means he holds overnight....and then trade the gap....its just not possible cause you are trading against yourself.....the problem I further have is that the pretext of Johns system is that it relies on him beating the spreadbetters....this is just not a sustainable system...all they will do is change the stop or spread requirements....a system is fine if it makes you money consistently ...I have as yet seen no evidence of this...oh and by the way day trading and systems trading are not mutually exclusive so I really don't know what he means by his statement....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
John...I asked and you declined....
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Serrious.. I will have to go get a few..We drink some good red next time your in town me thinks.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
John so why then use a system which has a 300 pt stop and a spread of 50pts? Why would anybody in their right mind use this when they could use a system which has a 1 (yes 1 pt spread) and an infinitely variable stop...John I do some 3000 trades per month and I have never ever not had a stop fail on the system I use....so if we were not talking about overnight then why are we even talking about this crazy crazy ludicrous spread and stop distance?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
what would you like current balences vs starting balence..Yeterdays trades
0 Kudos
Not applicable
summary for October will be fine
0 Kudos
Not applicable
1pt Spread??? What platform is that on Chartist? I would love to use only 1pt for costs!
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
This is so nice to see. I really thought the romance had gone out of the Chartist/John man-crush.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
dwt.co.za speak to pieter...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
So I payed about R2000 in comm's last week in total. You payed about R7500 in comm's last week and that figure is based on trading only one contract at a time and we know you trade more than and you are lecturing me about costs...Shame on you!!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
John....u have such a simplistic view of the world....its not about costs in absolute terms its about nett profit...yes my costs were high...much higher than you mention...we do live in a relative world... so your costs may be 2000 but what was your profit?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I will send you just the IG part of my trading ..the statments are daily so I will send through the 1st and the 30th I think that will do as you will be able to see the openning and closing balence for the month...that is just the profit for my overnight trades...for fun I will include the currnet balence as well.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
why don't you tell us what your weeks profit vs cost was Chartist..I am sure your doting fans would love to see.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
costs were 42840....winnings were 166900...thats for October...cost to winnings higher than normal due to incredible and i mean incredible volatility
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Last week R33 000 cost R2000 and that was with just 2 contracts.
0 Kudos