Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

SAB BEE deal

Not applicable
Hi guys, I was just wondering about the BEE deal? Whats happening with that and is it a deal that involves normal individuals or is it something for Taverns and shebeens and small business who sell alcohol? Thanks
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
AJT
Super Contributor
It is available to all BEE employees and white employees below a certain grade. It is also applicable to shabeen owners, etc. The valuation has been done based on the value of SAB South Africa and the BEE deal concludes in 10 yeards time, i.e. individuals can only cash in, or swop their BEE shares for SABMiller Listed shares in 10 years..
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Not sure if I like my money to be tied up for 10 years. Theres no guarantees that SAB will increase in value over that period! Rather risk the money on derivatives.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So I assume individuals/general public can't participate?
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
correct, public cannot participate. @HateGauteng - employees money is not tied up, as they do not need to put any money in. If they stay with the company for another 4 years, they will be entitled to the full contribution; there are other stipulations should employess leave within 1; 2; 3; etc years where they are entitled to a portion of their shares. Dividends are also granted during this period, but a portion (think it is 25%) is held back in order to go towards funding the deal, so essentially it is money for nothing....
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
schweet for the employees
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
there is more chance of SAB going up then there is of the avergae person making money from derivatives ..
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
At least the average person doesn't have to put up with their money tied up in a BEE deal for years to come. Sometimes, I wonder about the feasibility of the average (not this one as explained below) BEE deal. As a person (or family) develops over the years, could this money be put to better use such as childrens (or their own) education.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
but if you are an investor with a 5-10 year view, then youu're getting the shares at discount whhich would certainly be attractive.
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
maybe so, but those that took up the Sasol BEE deal will not be smiling right now, let's hope they are in a few years time...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well sure, top of the market transactions never much fun ..
0 Kudos