Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

So,what's better ?

Not applicable
nope, that is just the commission - you are forced on IG Markets to enter a position on the extreme of the trade, i.e. you can't enter into the bid ask auction, so you can't bargain on a middle ground price - or even put in an order 1pt above the bid price, for example. So you are locked in to the spread - and since they shade the spread, you invariably face at least 30pts that you are out of pocket (and again when you sell). And BTW, 9 pts is huge, OST is 1,5 points.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
dude .. straw man arguement .. you keep going back to the charts .. this thread is not about charts ..

and an important point we haven't even got to yet .. coiunter party risk ??
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Simon...only my opinion...but charts are pretty nb to the day trader, as is cost. Anyway.....everyone needs to find their own platform of choice....right now mine is ig for a host of reasons.....as my point is off thread topic I now bow out. As always may the charts be with you.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
lol .. fair shourt .. we should have a drink, but you probably changing nappies and I trying not to drink before morning tea .. checks time piece, which means another 43 miutes of waiting ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yip - counter party risk. Ask anyone who was caught up in Dealstream. And if memory serves, the same happened to a major European player - affiliated to either global trader or IG, I can't remember which. Prognosis, you lost everything that was tied up, including your margin and cash balance. Now with regards to cost, case in point - IG March 11 ALSI futures contract - 29869/29896 - the same contract on DWT - 29885/29890. That is 5 point difference for DWT, and a 27 point difference on IG. That is a discrepancy of 22 points (for the purchase only - and you will have the same discrepancy when you want to sell - so double that). That is 44points difference - or R440 per trade. Still want to argue in favour of IG?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
it was GT .. their UK/Europe operation went belly up and as it is ring fenced the local arm just walked away .. as I understand still court cases happening, but those with money in GT UK so far lost all ..
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Well as the little tykes are now 8 months I get my evenings back again.....if you be in CT let me know, would be good to meet.
0 Kudos
TOPIX
Regular Contributor
Geez dude. Where do you get this 30 points from? Can you back this claim up with facts?? At 09h50 - ALSI spread on OST = 29852/29865; ALSI spread on IG = 29846/29865. That is a 6 point difference on the bid and zero difference on the offer.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
still a shaded price and is costing you 6 points .. OST would cost you 1.5 points .. that be extra 4.5 points each way = why ?? say you do 100 trades a year (which is not a lot with ALSI), that's 450 points = R4500 = OUCH ..
0 Kudos
TOPIX
Regular Contributor
Agreed. No argument about the shaded price. I tried OST and found the slippage on OST way more than IG. This is a hiiden cost that is difficult to quantify upfront, but you have to take it into account.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I concede the 30pt mistake - they used to lock the spread to 30pts but I see they have done away with this practise. Still, you can clearly see that they shade 6pts either way - I have looked at it for the last 15 minutes and this practise seems to be consistent. So you will be 12 points out of pocket on each trade. R120 bucks per trade is pretty big! And I agree on the OST slippage issue - my first comment in this post was that OST was way to slow for alsi day trading - which is why DWT comes out tops
0 Kudos
Not applicable
And so....still somewhat perplexed, we shall chose our own Trading Platform and be careful of Slippage and other onscreen Bananas.Well, if insider SimonPB is trading OST...I suppose I shall too.And since IG has the best charts.I'll open a small account there, to use their charts.OK....R.I.P dear thread.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Before the thread RIP, remember the CHARTS may make you a more informed trader, but not a better trader
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
and what kind of idiot trader would deliberatly choose ***** charting and be less informed.....
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nah .. we put far to much importance onto the charts .. they merely offer us courage to enter a trade .. nothing special .. best traders I know trade from ticker (bid/offer/last trade) .. zero chart ..
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
wow, thats pretty cool, genuine ninja traders....but for the rest of us its the rsi, 20ma and the candlestick chart.....although I am sure you make a good point, I dont know how to use it to improve my trading.
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
A few reasons why I trade with IG, no bullsh*t....just straight up facts and I can vouch for every point....its your call...these guys are pretty serious.....there is loads more info on their website, but read through all this and ask yourself, how does this compare to my broker, if your answer is that they are pretty average and your broker is better then don't waste your time with them. If this seems pretty good take a look.All that ***** about fixed spreads blah blah blah......all hogwash....deal dma and you are straight into the market. South African companies hate international competition....when you look deeper into this kind of offering you will see why.... You always deal at the market price with IG Markets, regardless of whether you are trading Direct Market Access or via PureDeal. At IG Markets we pride ourselves on being open and transparent with our clients. Some CFD providers will only offer CFDs on share prices derived from the market price. This means that they may or may not quote a low commission but add a spread to the exchange price, so your total dealing cost is the headline commission rate plus the added spread, or a skewed price. If you have ever received re-quotes on your CFD orders, you may be receiving a price that is skewed against you (and hence costing you money). When you trade with us you are guaranteed to deal at the market price, you never have to worry about these hidden costs. You can also be assured that we always offer a live two-way (bid and offer) price; you will never receive only bid or offer price depending on whether you want to go long or short. Plus, you will always receive guaranteed market prices regardless of whether you are trading on the browser-based PureDeal platform, via our cell phone trading platform or even when you are dealing from your iPhone. PureDMA We also offer DMA trading through PureDMA. PureDMA combines the speed and simplicity of our award-winning PureDeal platform with the increased control of DMA trading. With PureDMA you can trade thousands of global shares, watching your trades go directly into the exchange's order book. You can also access the pre and post market auctions, with the potential to trade at 'institutional prices' and avoid market spread. We commonly get asked how we make our money at IG Markets; are there any hidden costs when dealing with us? Quite simply, as a business we make our money in the following ways: Transaction fees - commission/spread IG Markets either quotes a commission charge (for equity products) or a spread charge (difference between a buy and sell price). Funding fees When long positions are held overnight IG Markets will charge a funding fee for the value of the position, or if a position is held in a fixed expiry future contract this funding charge is built into the price of the product. No hidden charges There are no administration charges such as margin call fees, tax statements fees, duplicate statements, audit fees for disputes or platform fees. Fees passed on Charges that are passed on to clients: Exchange fees are levied if a client opts to receive live streaming data from the JSE. Exchange fees are waived if at least one trade is transacted in a given month on JSE shares. Where increased borrowing fees are applicable in the underlying market, short share CFD positions may incur an additional `borrowing charge' (quoted in the form of an annual interest rate and posted daily). This generally affects less than 10 percent of stocks, normally small cap. To determine whether a borrowing charge applies, please call our dealers in advance of trading IG Markets is an authorised financial services provider in South Africa, backed by an international leader in CFD trading. IG Markets South Africa Ltd is part of IG Group Holdings plc, a FTSE 250 company based in London. This affords you the security, resources, global coverage and service of a multinational organisation with more than 100,000 clients worldwide. At a glance IG Markets is one of the world's largest and longest established providers of leveraged retail derivative products IG Group employs over 800 staff around the world The group's various companies process over one million transactions a month, over 90% of which are online IG Group is currently valued at over R17 billion which ranks the group just outside the FTSE 100 The group has total assets of R14 billion, and own cash of R1.4 billion, as at 31 May 2009 IG Markets in the UK is regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA) and has an exemplary record with the authority as a respected financial derivatives provider Our award-winning PureDeal platform combines reliability and super-fast execution with a range of vital resources. The platform includes our market-leading charting package, and our technology has been optimised for your cell phone and iPhone, allowing you to trade wherever you are. Advanced Platform Our highly advanced platform is simple to use and fully customisable. PureDeal gives you access to thousands of streaming prices in seconds thanks to our predictive search feature, in tandem with ultra-fast execution and one-click dealing. PureDeal also comes with our unique Price Improvement technology - if we have a better price available when your deal is executed, we give it to you. Take a tour of our PureDeal platform. PureDeal Resources Alongside our innovative platform, PureDeal is also armed with an unrivalled combination of trading tools, including: Reuters News - Live streaming news, free from a renowned global information provider. Market-leading Charts - Real-time advanced charts. With DealThru technology enabling you to trade directly from your charts. Research - Choose from a range of research and analytical studies. PureDeal is not only loaded with cutting-edge tools, however, it is also fully robust. During a recent period of high volatility we took more than 700,000 trades in just one week. Our platform was 100% reliable, with no downtime. Even more recently, the platform withstood an average of almost 5,000 deals per minute without crsahing or stalling. Learn more about our PureDeal Key Features. PureDeal on your Cell Phone You can also stay completely up-to-date with the latest market movements via your cell phone. As an IG Markets account holder our Cell Phone Dealing software allows you to monitor your portfolio, giving you free access to our full range of markets and offering all the ordering options you would normally expect. Our software is suitable for a huge number of cell phones, including your PDA or BlackBerry. Find out more and take our Cell Phone Dealing Tour. iPhone Optimsed for the iPhone web browser, you are able to enjoy our full online dealing service on your iPhone or iPod Touch. PureDeal can be viewed in your favoured orientation, while you can also deal through our optimised Deal Ticket, and follow your running positions. Our professional charting package is also accessible on your iPhone, optimised to give you free, live access to snapshot charts. Find out more about iPhone Dealing. IG Markets South Africa Ltd is part of the IG Group, a recognised leader in financial derivatives trading across the world. IG Markets originated in the UK in 1974, and the brand has been successfully rolled out in the US, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Japan, Singapore and Australia since then. IG Markets South Africa Ltd will continue to provide the high standards associated with the brand, offering the best of our international and local expertise to South African clients. Recognised market leader Across the world, IG Group brands have been recognised as market leaders. In 2010 IG Group was recognised as one of Britain's Top Employers, according to independent research conducted by the CRF Institute. IG Group's Japanese operation, FXOnline, scooped six No.1 rankings at the 2010 Oricon awards, including inclusion in the 'Best 15 online securities companies with high customer satisfaction' category. IG Markets Australia was voted Best CFD Provider by industry experts in 2009 and received two leading accolades in the 2009 Smart Investor Blue Ribbon Awards: Recommended Forex Provider and Recommended CFD Provider. In the UK, IG Index has been named the leading financial spread betting provider. The PureDeal platform has been recognised for its reliability, and in 2009 the cutting-edge charting package DealThru was recognised with a Best Online Product Innovation award. For more information about IG Markets and IG Group, visit our About Us page. PureDeal Reliability We realise fast execution and reliability are essential for accurate trading, which is why our PureDeal dealing platform has been specially designed to cope with periods of high demand and still deliver an outstanding service. In a recent period of high activity, the platform handled an average of 4,900 deals per minute without stalling or crashing. Our superior browser-based software provides all the tools necessary for professional trading on a huge range of markets, including market-leading charts with DealThru technology, allowing you to deal directly through the chart. No downloads are required. PureDeal benefits include: Ultra-fast execution and one-click dealing Price Improvement technology A wide range of local and international markets Free Reuters news package Free professional-level charts Fully customisable interface Trade straight into the order books of the world's equities and futures exchanges with our Direct Market Access (DMA) platform. The unrivalled transparency and flexibility of Level 2 trading is becoming essential for the expert or professional market participant - harness the advantages with our advanced L2 Dealer platform, originally developed for our own dealers. Key features In addition to all the main functions of our PureDeal platform (Reuters feed, top-end charting, free research and more), L2 has a number of features developed exclusively for the DMA trader: Pro Watchlists Place orders in batches - direct from a watchlist of your favourite stocks. Excel compatiblity Drag and drop lists of stocks straight from Excel into (and out of) your watchlists. Time and Sales data See a full chronology of recent trading data for a stock, indicating trade quantity, price and type. Monitor entire indices Our 'Trigger pages' give an overview of all the current prices of an index's components, updating in real-time. Order minder Open a Level 2 trade and then leave a closing order against our OTC equivalent for peace of mind. Track your orders Use the Trade Book to monitor your orders as they are being worked in the market View the full order book A Level 2 screen reveals the full depth of the market for a stock. Crucially, you can see the number of securities for sale and on offer, as well as the number of buyers and sellers at each price. Access to this information, combined with the ability to join the queue yourself using a DMA platform such as L2 Dealer, can lead to more informed trading. Compare interest Knowing how many bids are queued on either side of the order book can give insights into the possible future direction of a stock. Get inside the spread Place your own orders in the queue and trade directly with other market participants by setting your own price. As a price maker you may get opportunities to trade within the normal spread. Time your trades When placing large orders you can account for market liquidity while considering when to place the trade. Be anonymous You can enter the market anonymously, and slice large orders into tranches ('iceberg orders') to hide your full size. Meanwhile, you can look out for this type of automated trading among other participants. Enter auctions As a DMA participant you can enter stock auctions, where the best prices often become availab
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Ninja, as the great Gann once said, Trade for the big money. So trade for points, not ******TICKS!Use the 6, 2% rule, put every tradable instrument into the roulette wheel and spin only 3 times .Gambling then stops, trading starts.
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Rams, great name, you rambling again! I am not talking about 2% stops, or the 6% rule or anything about risk management. Simply a summary on igmarkets. How did you get to the 2% and 6% rule and gambling from the igmarkets website info?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Rambling, look at the size of your post. Anyway got the info from "Trade to Trade Well" by Simon Brown. You should attend....
0 Kudos