Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Stop Profit

SteveE
Occasional Contributor
Is there any way to set a trigger on a rising price such that it will only start once a certain threshold is crossed? eg share bought @ 100, I want a profit of 10 but do not want to miss out on a rising market so is the solution to set a stop loss at 111?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Rams
Super Contributor
you can lock in profits with a trailing stop loss or fixed stop loss. Trailing stop loss can lock in your R10 profit and more if the market moves in your direction. Thats all very nice in theory, but you will find that on any day, the market takes out your stop loss as you move it in a winning direction and then reverses and moves on your direction without you....Best to work out your exit strategy: let the market take you out at the R10 profit level or at the R5 stop loss level(profit loss 2:1). Go to Simons just one lap for some excellent education....
0 Kudos
SteveE
Occasional Contributor
My strategy would be more or less as you have stated (pretty typical I would say) however I would like to avoid getting out too soon if an automatic stop profit would allow the position to 'safely' ride on up with the market beyond the exit point.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
can do that on OST with the trailing or fixed stoploss(by manually moving it in the direction of your profit).But work out the ATR based on your time frame...google Average Trading Range, work out if your risk amount is within this range before placing the stop to avoid being taken out by Mr Market, or the broker, prematurely.But as i said, its all there on justonelap and on the OST "education" link
0 Kudos