Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

TIP for DIY OST Forumites!

Not applicable
Penetrating Oils Compared Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! *They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants withthe control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.* *Penetrating oil ..... Average load* None ..................... 516 pounds WD-40 ................. 238 pounds PB Blaster ............. 214 pounds Liquid Wrench ..... 127 pounds Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds *The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.*
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ha ha, I think Q10 (the penetrating variant) should acchieve about 210.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
What I find also helps is a mixture of brake fluid and chlorine.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
And having a policy of keeping your nuts out of rusty environments helps a lot as well.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Thought this one would explode. Then again that might also separate the nut from the bolt.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
DIY for the lazy man... No wrench needed...
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
I always dry my NUTS off if I wet them by chance, use them often and they will never have a chance to rust!
0 Kudos