Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

The Relevance of TA

HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Both the death cross and confirmed head and shoulders have been given the finger by the market. Just wondering if there's any relevance left in technical analysis. Check this article out: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/track-record-of-the-death-cross-2010-07-09
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
kwagga
Super Contributor
Don't write TA off. We're not out of the woods yet.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
TA is just probability .. understand that and it all makes sense ..
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
If you day trading without TA you would be like a fish without water - dead meat.
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
HG: it would be more interesting if Mark also included performance variances (how low the Dow went after a death/silver cross before giving you that average 6% return) because that is what traders are interested in.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
you going to write off TA, just because of the failure of one single indicator? And a bearish one? come on! Two things 1) markets are inherently biased to the long side, indicators short are extremely unreliable (try backtesting simons lazy trade short, for example vs long). 2) TA's have a tendency to misunderstand the principles of cause and effect. Just because moving averages have crossed, doesn't mean the market has to go down. It just means that statistically, your down waves will be bigger than your up waves, so it is more profitable to be riding the down waves. Personally, I hardly ever short, I am a perma bull
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
It's time to come back to Gauteng so we can teach u few things
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Actually was thinking of doing a trip to GP this weekend. My bro's comming from China and was thinking of picking him up from airport. Either me or my parents.
0 Kudos