Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

The investment case for copper miners

Not applicable
Palamin reported their results up until december - and they were fantastic, with a 6% dividend yield. Now the 180day moving average for the rand copper price is up almost 8% since december, so there is a fair bit of upside potential for Palamin, IMO. Copper would have to show a substantial downward slide for this stock to start taking a real knock. Metorex is in a similar situation, with a dollar price for copper being the relevant measure.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
The danger with Palmin is that she really has very little life left in the current operation - maybe 7 to 10 years depending on the current extension. Thereafter she moves to her "LIFT 2" phase - this is a MULTI billion rand project to effectively build a new mine under the current mine. The last time she announced such a project - moving from open-cast to underground - her shares fell 80%. On that occasion she effectively issued some 50% more shares by way of fully convertible debentures to her parent - RIO TINTO.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If I am not mistaken, Metorex is in a similar situation?
0 Kudos