Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

The market is a pernicious and cunning thing...

Not applicable
Its a fact that a market like the futures market is a zero sum game....no money is actually made...it merely passes from the smart to the dumb...from patient to the impatient...from those that dont have stop losses to those that do....if we look at todays price action for instance....what the smart guys were doing is saying....what will the obvious (conventional wisdom) thing be to do?....well that would be to go short....so the smart guys say ...well I will wait ...so the guys that were short/went short early got squeezed...by like 300 pts ....thats a huge squeeze in a couple of minutes....then what happens is that the psuedo smarts get involved (one or two here were calling this)...they see the direction and think this is it for the day....they are smart but impatient.....all the time the smart guys sit and wait...one things for sure ...a bear is far smarter than a bull...a bear waits for things to walk into his trap...a bull may mall and bruise you but a bear will tear you limb from limb....
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Not applicable
Any comment on the 20-pip gap down on the USD 5min chart a few minutes ago?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hi AvS...didnt see it...I dont really watch currency graphs...just have the price running in the background...u have any comments?
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
So now's the time to look for direction. Which is probably long, as the gold and plat rush has begun as the dollar take a hammering.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
No. No comment except eish! I was long USD/Swissy when it happened...
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Ya, it is interesting. You can be right about the imminent drop and short, but if you're even slightly wrong about the time it simply doesn't matter.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
got out of my short at the open for a decent profit and wuz contemplating a long as yesterdays market action tells me this market just ain't going down soon....Hiya B-bABY. Best just to sit today out as any violent swing on da wrong side and you'd need to borrow some of C-Man's vaseline. (switching system OFF...ADIOS!)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
violent swings on the wrong side is what stop losses are made for...
0 Kudos
SD
Contributor
What i want to ask is why aren't the oil companies hitting highs today as the oil hit 140 per barell yesterday? Anyone?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Could be a few things SD. One - they've alredy priced in $140 (or more). Two - they're expecting a pull back in the oil price. Three - if you're refering specifically to SOL it's not strictly an oil play. Four - dunno.
0 Kudos
SD
Contributor
Thanks Brazen.. I understand what you saying but what do u mean when u say they've already priced the R140 in? I'm bit new at this game. What about oando?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
If you're doing short term trading you really have to ignore the day to day news. You must assume it's all in the price already. And the marktet prices ahead, so you assume oil hitting new highs is already in the price. And, now the news is saying oil is due a big pull back. And you have to assume that's in the price too! Trying to follow the news and trade that will kill you. Just follow the share price and know support and resistance. Everything else is what traders call 'noise'.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I agree with you Brazen - that is why you should NEVER watch Bloomberg etc.
0 Kudos