Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Which Gold stock?

ByronP
Contributor
Looking for advice on which gold stock would be better to invest in right now assuming everyone will move to the "Safe Haven" of gold? Is New Gold(GLD) the best, or could you also benefit with something like Goldfields(GFI)? Thanks,
0 Kudos
29 REPLIES 29
Not applicable
Thus far, the gold miners (DRD, GFI, HAR and ANG) have tanked together with the rest of the market, in spite of the rand gold price having increased significantly. Newgold has therefore been the best option up to now. When the market bottoms (who knows when that will be...) then the gold mining companies should perform well.
0 Kudos
Surf_Rat
Super Contributor
Hey mate sorry could not give my opinion at this time when the wave is coming better be out there so here goes gfi someone ( grommet ) was playing games yesterday due to speculation on that deal with mvela or what ever its called ,Harmony was your safe bet as it tanked 500 cents yesterday .I was short goldfields cause thought the bail out was a guarrenttee mate then the USSA did a capitalist on us so I put in a buy order cause these stop loss things can cost you then the grommets went and shaked the tree from 80 close to 70 in one minute and as the sell order price is the price you pay I made some money I was very worried in fact I was having bowel movements at 855 am so now all is well I can have breakfast in owerri
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Gold miners have lost money for decades or so it seems if you must buy into safehaven ***** the buy GLD
0 Kudos
CrownA
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Gfi seems the one to me. One needs to take a position of at least 2 months on these stocks otherwise the volatility will drive you nuts. I believe that these golds are gonna FLY going into year end and have such fully invested myself last week. You just need to be patient for reality to catch up with the fundamentals. Man that sounded like that mutt Roffey. Anyway I either retire from trading for a year in Dec due to insane profits or start from scratch again...either way a risk I'm willing to take as I've seen these setups before. OMHO
0 Kudos
ByronP
Contributor
Thanks for the input guys, I have gone the GLD route, will have to wait and see what happens...
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Luckily uncle Roff's mouth has been shut and the Gold stocks can finally rally!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
how,why,what...did he lose his programme
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Hope so...otherwise he will tell us that this is the perfect opportunity to sell the goldies...His dog will finally be valued over 10 bucks in the not so distant future
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Just to update ANG has run into a spot of bother in South America,i think Brazil....Their hunch to mine there has payed off hansomely,unfortunately now that government has decided suddenly it wants "in" and is going to put royalty on the mine as well as the taxes they already pay.Anglo thinks they will then be mining at a loss and has decided not to develop the mine further.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
My SBK Gold fields warrant is now leading the Harmony warrant....Just a point,it might be a bit late to get in now,ideally last night or early this morning were the best times as the gold price is not advancing at the moment....I'm how ever going to hold for a couple of weeks as i think this might be a temporary respite in the downward spiral,then decide what to do.It remsains to be seen if any package will help as ten times the amount bandied about is needed to do any good.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Please guys,learn the difference between gold stocks and gold metal. They have nothing to do with each other. Zip. Nada.
If you want to convince yourself then do an overlay of the JSE gold index and the USD gold price: correlation is prolly negative...
0 Kudos
dbm
Frequent Contributor
I think is time to take a look as gold shares. If you can afford to take a punt. I reckon now is the time to buy
0 Kudos
Not applicable
as a counterbalance Barry dude....ang just released sens saying they overstated incometax by R670 odd million....who the hell overpays the tax man by that amount...no wonder these *****'es are losing money.adios!
0 Kudos
Running_bull
Frequent Contributor
Historically speaking Gold "shares" run from here on through December... gold shares are volatile, but ive been lucky to enjoy positive returns, gfi, drd, har, gld... take your pick!
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
usually there is no correlation,but at the moment when the gold price rises then the stocks come into demand....Long term gold shares are at its three year lows and has proved a loosing play....don't know if that will change.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
My inaccurate commodities forecast ...There is a possibility that both oil and gold bullion prices will increase again by Thursday afternoon....A further attempt to push legislation in America is likely to go through,although then the move ,is likely to have less credibility and only a tempory effect on the market short term.
0 Kudos
Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
Buy the ETF and sleep easy. The other's will drive you crazy!!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
my uninformed opinion - if we map SA gold miners share performance vs that of gold - gold hits its all time high earlier this year, on the back of a weakening rand - but these guys production volumes just keep falling and so does their share price. Check out http://www.moneyweb.co.za/mw/view/mw/en/page66?oid=228160&sn=Detail I think Investec makes a lot of sense here
0 Kudos