Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Who knows there wine!

john_1
Super Contributor
I'ts my wife's 40th party coming up, and I need to decide on the red wine. I want somthing that tastes very expensive but is not! Sugestions welcome.
0 Kudos
36 REPLIES 36
Copper
Regular Contributor
Meerlust RED 2002, for R100. Puts Rubicon to shame in my opinion for the price.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Did I mention there will be 100 pisscats in my house... I know I mentioned cheap!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Van Loveren River Red....u can pick it up for about ZAR 18 if you look around....most ppl think it costs more....I know u are a serious cheapskate and that the cashflow hasnt been great ...so that should so it
0 Kudos
Not applicable
otherwise Hannes Myburgh at Meerlust is a mate of mine...if you still have some of those model looks we should be able to get a good price...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Now if it tastes like R100 thats value but if it tastes like R35 we may need to keep looking. But thanks.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I used to serve old Hannes when I used to work at Floris Smit huis as waiter quite some years ago. I will take you up on that if you can get a discount.. I promise to send an autograghed copy of my old portfolio.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Deepending on how friendly you are prepared to be you may walk away with a free cases gratis...wont your wife be impressed?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I recon those Meerlust at R100 are sounding dirt cheap all of a sudden.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Spier Merlot....retails around R55 but you can pick it up from Hyper around R36 on special. Brilliant wine for a budget.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Backsberg's KleinBabylonsTorin used to be one of my favorites. The Cab/Merlot one. When I last looked a few months ago it was around R60(??)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
John, the only good tasting wine in a low price bracket, and im assuming you want a red, is gonna be a merlot. The tannin structure of merlot grapes allows them to achieve adequate flavour and balance during the tanking process. (cos trust me, they aint using good oak for the cheapies). And for those quantities I suggest you buy directly from the farm. I assume you're in CT right?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I am in Cape Town.. which wine farms do you suggest Roman. I have always enjoyed the Overgaau Merlot
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Get a few "papsakke" for R10 a galon and some red food colouring.
0 Kudos
Copper
Regular Contributor
Sorry John..i didnt realise you were expecting 100 other leeches as well...anyway,the trick is to get everyone s*itfaced before you bring on the wine(i suggest Mainstay Cane Spirits). This 'karate juice' will have the most stoic teetotaler hanging from the rafters. You then bring on the 5 litre autumn harvest(cleverly diguised in expensive wine bottles) and watch the high jinx and mayhem. People will barely remember the night which translates into a smashing evening by all.
0 Kudos
Luigi
Occasional Contributor
Hi John Have a look at Graham Beck Railroad Red.Very good value for money. Good price at Farm in Franschhoek or at Macro
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
I would just service. . er, I mean serve. . old Hannes again if I were you. After all, it is her 40th.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Is your expertise in the wine industry? I see the last time u said something in the chat was last year under another wine topic.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
and what wine u drinking there in Saudi?
0 Kudos
Skyhawk
Contributor
John, first of all it is your wife's birthday... so i reckon she should pay? Secondly the art of dealing with a bunch of leeches is to entertain them with a "yacca" like one of the formites suggested vodka ....the cheapest Russian Bear it will make you feel like a bear in this bear market....cut a waterlemon in half add vodka, crushed ice, lemon zest and some cranberry juice ....that will get the crowd going.... then for the 5 people at your party with taste ...I suggest a Zonnebloem Shiraz ....retail about R45-48 bucks.....Enjoy
0 Kudos