Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Why some banks are declining?

Not applicable
I see ASA and FSR going down heavy. US interest is cut by .5%.The trend should be up or flat.Any reason for that?
0 Kudos
65 REPLIES 65
Not applicable
I was about to post the same question?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
There is no simple answer other than more sellers, but why selling, realtive returns may be the answer.. you can make 1% in a bank at heart of the current problems( remembering out interest rate will still clinb) or get 6% buying billiton with the same cash!
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
John , I f*cking sold Billiton at 214 yesterday ,just to get into RMB , now it is trading a 230. I am such a F8ucking ass.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
Yep i know the feeling said to myself last night will buy BHP first thing in the morning did not put a bid in as i wanted to play the wait and see game and now the ship has sailed eishhhhhhhh.
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
Yep i know the feeling said to myself last night will buy BHP first thing in the morning did not put a bid in as i wanted to play the wait and see game and now the ship has sailed eishhhhhhhh.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
I was on the ship and made a good couple thousand rand profit,but it could have been more. \ All i can say is Billition is a winning horse.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Its all relative are you poorer?...no good...Do you have your health? ...yes good... so buy what you need to and move on.
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
I aggree John no use in crying over spilled milk its just i wish i could trust my instintcs a bit more instead of always second guessing myself.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I know the feeling mate. trust me I know the feeling... Try setting small goals then go look for shares that not only have buy signals but that fit the risk/ reward to achieve your goal. then put less money than you currently trade with into the trade. your results will be smaller but your confidence will grow.. this is what I have been doing... I am only trading the ALSI that way I dont beat myself up for missing moves on shares that are on my watch list but have never traded. My focus is narrow my goals are small and my confidence is growing along with my bank account.
0 Kudos
earlyret
Regular Contributor
John, are you using DWT? Waiting for the Gap to close?
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
At this time the Financials 15 actually picked up 1,93% - what is p!33!ng me off is NED, of late this share overreacts on the downside and doesn't allow itself to swing up to earlier heights when the time is ripe.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Yes and No Fundamentals have changed so gap reflects that> It is not an ordanary Gap, that said I have shorts ready for it.. I see the great Satin has woken up with a hangover
0 Kudos
Zirk
Frequent Contributor
Bought NED ans ASA yesterday , was smiling this morning till they took a dip. Charts still depict them as cheap and indicators eg stoc are low.OMO. Can't fathom reason for non performance. Anyway count this as lesson learnt as a speculator. Now lets see if overseas traders see them as cheap entry if wanna hold a few days.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
surely the logic is that while last night may have removed a lot of risk, the banks are still where the remaining/higher risk is (sub prime)?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
further, bankignindex up 2%, indi25 up only 1.4%. pretty much today is being driven by resource stocks.
0 Kudos
Zirk
Frequent Contributor
Thanks Simon, makes sense. Lesson 10 learnt today. Guess i also got caught up in the hype about banks being in flavor.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Prehaps you just got caught.. who said the banks were in favour!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I am smiling bought solsbk @ 30, guess I am sailing with the ship.
0 Kudos