Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Will Natural Gas (NG) replace coal

Lee_1
Frequent Contributor
This concerns me as I want to buy Exxaro. So I read up a little and hope you guys can add your views and correct my mistakes, as I'm no expert. Points gleaned were: 1. Natural gas is 50% more efficient in converting energy from fuel and is seen as cleaner 2.Natural gas does not trade at a converged global price. LNG currently trades at US$2.00 in the US; but $9.00 in the UK and $15.00 in Japan. 3.It seems oil ($17-29) would be first to cede its primacy to gas, but why coal at $1.50? 4. Supporting past studies, Tom Wigley finds that a shift from coal to gas could actually speed up global warming. 5. The coal industry wants to know why most anti-coal propaganda funding, to the likes of the Sierra Club, come from Chesapeake Energy. The Sierra Club have since changed their support because of fracking. Chesapeake sold much of their NG lemon to the now embarrassed BHP Billiton. 5. Was 2011 really a year NG replaced coal? Based on EA data coal generation dropped 6.1%, whilst total electricity dropped by 17.13% due to mild weather in the US. 6. The drop in price of NG was also due to oversupply due to the mild weather and is surely at its lowest. Comments?
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
cheapcheap
Regular Contributor
I was watching cnbc and they had a interview with a ceo of some gas company and he said that the price in america will definately start rising because most of the companies have hedged their prices ,so they are happy to still supply gas at that price,but he said that will not carry on forever as the cost to get it ot is closer to 6$ currently i think gas is trading around $2.80.
0 Kudos