Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

any guess on Cosatu's IQ?

Not applicable
me thinks -120.....since when do these fat cat trade unionist leaders who survive on the life blood of the worker think that a strike that effectively cripples the country and more importantly the image of SA.....will actually bring food, petrol and inflation down! From my POV it's becoming increasingly evident that every man and his dog is going out of their way to prove whose the "biggest bone" in revolutionary speak department in order to hopefully gain a cabinant seat in the new "Zooooma" government. We may be a super power in Africa...but in the world scene...we still a "poolboy"....pity most locals don't recognise this intrinsic fact before they think revolutionary talk and strikes actually make a difference ie. apart from the masses losing wages. EISCH!
0 Kudos
48 REPLIES 48
schizo
Frequent Contributor
well you should do some research before commententing as you should know that union action and strength is more agrresive and more common in developed countries across europe and the us.... have you ever heard of the teamsters....strikes occur way more in europe than sa...i cant argue about the corruption but i can assure you that us and europian unionist leaders are as corrupt as the africans
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I agree with you......but you seem to have misunderstood my post. Firstly teamsters = 80's mafia and I'm not gona even elaborate on this cause I know what I'm talking about. The major reason for the European strikes are trade barriers and continuation of huge state subsidies especailly to farmers. Firstly 90% of food prices are dictated by the Chicago mercantile exhange and are dependant on a myriad of factors nothwithstanding greedy and powerful speculators. Secondly inflation is dictated by the amount of money central banks print and we are currently in a worldwide inflationary spiral basically out of Tito's control. Thirdly electricity prices are governed by selling it higher or at least equal to what it costs to produce....for years this was subsidised and cannot any longer. Please do tell....how is mass action and the loss of much needed wages to the striking masses....going to bring all the aforementioned prices down. That sort of neandertholic thinking is exactley what that idiot Bob tried in Zim by thinking he could cap prices by law....and look what happened. Its about time that people in power take responsibility and truley see to the interests of the grassroots that they claim to represent before embarking on action that they KNOW will only disinfranchise the people they were sworn to protect. And lastly before you reply please THINK...which seems to be a rare event on the forum these days! ADIOS
0 Kudos
schizo
Frequent Contributor
true, mass action will not bring down prices but i think they are trying to bring about awareness that people are suffering from inflation... but i still dont see the difference between the acfrican unions and the overseas unions... i think they are all the same...as you mentioned elections are coming up and they need to book their seats ... thats what all politicians do everywhere
0 Kudos
Not applicable
You "do not see a difference".....try find one EU country or even one US state where unemployment is 23%.....yes that is SA's unemployment rate. Think of the reaction on Tuesday to the US 5% jobless number to drive home the point. Agreed ALL governments, trade unions, etc are awashed in power struggles and corruptions...but we here in SA cannot afford any more unemployment and hardship. Do you have any idea how today's strike was potrayed in the western media????...I've had 3 calls today from guys watching the over inflammed headlines across the world....you may say with typical SA arrogance to hell with them....but who do you think brought our index down 2000 points in a blink this week. Remember always talk, protest, jump a f...ing tree or whatever you want.....but do it from a position of strength....a position we are not in. Lastly I apologise for my personal attack on the previous post....but ran outta Johnnie and pissed off! ADIOS
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Hi Dinen,its plain and simple opportunism on the part of Cosatu....They know the fuel price will come down and other foofstuffs stabilise and maize will also drop in price.This will make the poor workers more willing to part with some of their hard earned wages as trade union fees if they think their union is actually doing somthing for them.Fact is the bosses in Cosatu dont give a fig for the workers as long as the dues keep rolling in.They will obviously also have more political clout at the next party congress.Agree with you that all this harms SA image.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
If the CPI is 10 % and Food Inflation 17% and Annual increase at 10%, we have a problem. As such the statement `Poor people get Poorer' remains in tact. They feel it.don't understand it and strike and greedy politicians get elected on the back of empty promises. The key word here is `Controlled Prices'.something u won't hear in US and EU, but u can here in Africa. If that come into effect.we have a big problem. It's an easy promise to make by a politician.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
But surely this is what we toyi-toyied and struggled for...the voice of the masses must be heard...and who cares about the west (who are marginalising themselves on the continent in any event) if you have chinese friends...and aren't you supposed to be emigrating? And btw Tito is as complicit for runaway CPI as any other central banker for having allowed M3 to expand by +25% for many months on end - the CPI chickens are only now coming home to roost. And maybe your investors are more concerned about the looming Land Expropriation Bill than the strike....but don't worry, we will all vote for Madiba's party come next year...it's our right!!!
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
and while we are at it - this constant harping on about the damage being done to SA's international image really gets me...what image is that exactly? A rogue state with open and uncontrolled borders, selling ID's and passports (fake and otherwise) to all and sundry, where explosives (stolen from the mines) and AK 47's and R5's (obtained from police and army depots) are readily available on the street for criminals to blow-up ATM's and rob businesses and residences, where the criminal justice system and the rule of law are undermined and manipulated and constantly attacked, where no civil servant is held accountable or ever removed for corruption and/or incompetence. Nevermind that SA boasts the world's highest per capita incidence of rape and Hiv/Aids and has violent crime exceeding that of Iraq and only topped by Columbia. I think we need to catch a wake-up about this so-called image...
0 Kudos
schizo
Frequent Contributor
topgun have you ever noticed that your ranting about the country seems to come about most when the markets are down..........
0 Kudos
schizo
Frequent Contributor
yes there are alot of problems in sa, but you fail to recognise the many positives... stock market and property boom, growing middle black sector who were once dirt poor, economic and biz oppurtunities for all races since '94 and yes i know alot of whites who have become much wealthier through embracing bee, and most of all freedom... trust me its worth the high food prices
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
you are obviously not a very shrewd observer....
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Great little conversation here...I want to see what org has to say...
0 Kudos
Oom_Boom
Frequent Contributor
Still the only place where the people dance to show that they are unhappy, gotta love it!
0 Kudos
Maggie
Super Contributor
Dinen, you got your figures wrong. 23 is not the unemployment rate, that is the IQ of COSATU. The unemployment rate is actually nearer 40% and rising!!! 120, well,that could be the number of days Mr Zoooma spends in court wasting taxpayers money.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Magie dearest...youst seem to have missed the MINUS sign in front of the 120. WRT 40%....agreed.....as I was not taking into account our unofficial residents in fear of being labelled the only 4 syllable word most know as of 2008....XENOPHOBIC!
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
23% is the official figure, 40%...they think it's the real figure. btw Zoo.ma wants to drive a Modena!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
as usual amigo....nothing but common sense from youz....must admit never saw it in that light....or maybe I did'nt think they were clever enuff! Adios hombre!
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
SA has recently enjoyed an unprecedented commodity tailwind and has nevertheless managed to underperform similar economies through failing to fully capitalise on the opportunities so presented, dramatically depicted in a ever widening CA deficit and growing uncompetitiveness....and our concepts of "freedom" obviously differ.
0 Kudos
MichaelR
Regular Contributor
I shorted oil 2 weeks ago and that is why! ok?
0 Kudos