Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

guys your opinions on difference between traders and investors

Not applicable
OK, I am going to fuel the fire here! Still reading 'trading in the zone', as recommended by Simon, and here is a point made in the book. This debate is talking about poles appart schools of thought - you can't even begin to be comparing them, or drawing from one philosopgy to alter the other. The reason is that to be succesful, traders have to take an 'anything can happen' attitude to succeed. They have to live in the 'now', and their very livelyhood depends on maintaining that focus completely. An investor fundamentaly has to believe that the future of a portfolio of shares will grow, and that the now is just noise. So put the two in a room together, and this debate is hte result!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
brazen here's the secret. read it quick coz I will be deleting this post in 11 minutes. We only ever serve snacks for the saturday events.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
exactly... and as long term investors we buy the business and the share is just a means to to getting the business, whereas for traders they don't care about the business but rather the share price. very different...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I be less thirsty, tis was CIB party last night, very quiet here today. not sure if I am back in CT this year, will let you knows when next I am.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Consider it read. I will eat this post in 9 minutes.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an we'll be doing some saturday events in your part of the world in 2009 . But no bags will be allowed, you have to eat it on site.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
To Bruberi's comment - Whilst a R88 to R198 might be a good return, that may seem like sour grapes cause just 2 or 3 months ago it was closer to R500. So why when being a long term investor would you willingly sit through a drop from R500 to R198 just cause you thing you have to? Subsequent to a fall of course all the motivation will come out in defending sitting tight, but deep down you truly know its hurting like mad!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Don't say that Chartist will get excited.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The debate here really isn't long term vs trading, because I promise you that every trader also has or at least aspires to create a long term portofolio for himself. The argument here is rather what strategy one uses to make the market work for you. Traders sound like they are imposing their views because we are simply flabbergasted when people stubbornly refuse the fantastic opportunities that trading (hedging, cash generation) can offer to your investments.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Many long term investors don't buy the company for the shareprice fluctuations, but rather to own a piece of the company, as long as the dividends are good and the company is operating well and consistently growing earnings, revenue and div, they will hold, they will possibly acquire more shares at such low periods. I know family friends that have long term portfolios of significant value and they have these running for decades now.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
I have chosen to invest for the long term to achieve my financial goals because it's a strategy that I believe I understand and is within my circle of competence. There are an infinite number of strategies, long and short, that one could implement to achieve ones financial goals. I've chosen long term value/growth investing as the best option for me for now. This may or it may not change, but EACH TO THEIR OWN.
0 Kudos