Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

heavy put buying

john_1
Super Contributor
I see there has been heavy protection buying for alcoa. Lots of fear about = big moves ahead.
0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
Not applicable
John is that for ALcoa specifically? cause the VIX reading does not bear out your statement.....
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
yes. Go look on the pure deal news feed.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
you cannot extrapolate the Alcoa put buying to the rest of the market...the vix has actually fallen by 10% in the last few days...that not to say that I am saying there may not be big moves ahead...I am saying that your pretext is wrong....
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
no pretext, It was a stock spesific comment.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
big moves ahead?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Good mornig Chartist. Here is an idea, lets try find a little common ground this morning all this costant challenging all the time is getting very tired. Are tou going to to long into the gap or have done so already
0 Kudos
Not applicable
John...I have told you this before...we cannot find common ground if you get the raw data wrong....we can argue about the interpretation but u gotta get the detail right....I am not sure u always do...recall telling everyone it was futures close out when it wasnt?...recall the recent faux pas with the time the ISM data us released...the alcoa put buying while this may be correct in the way you stated would to most imply that there was wider put buying which would influence volatility....otherwise why mention it..no one here holds Alcoa...
0 Kudos
DCTrader
Super Contributor
I think his reason for mentioning Alcoa put buying is that this earning kicks off the Q1 earnings in the US and might be setting the trend for other big firms to follow... I don't think he meant it as a stock specific comment. Round 1... fight!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
No I meantioned it because the dow has been teatering on the brink of a break out and Alcoa's results and results in general are going to swing it either way, the point to mentioning Alcoa is it is the start of the earnings season. Disapointing results are going to send this market very much lower. Alcoa lost 6% yesterday last time I checked. A big move in my book.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
DC ..yes thats my point exactly....if he meant it as you say he is factually incorrect....as I mentioned the VIX (which is a measure of fear and put buying) actually declined in the past few days...my second point is that you cannot take a small sample of data like this and make assumptions on the rest of the market....thats what fools do and we know what the market does to them...soon to be demonstrated by the gap close we will see on the FTSE and the top 40 futures...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
What ever, you are being a DIC! 3 times I have said it was stock specific. what more do you want from me. a F### appology for making a comment. I am so tired of you undermining me on this forum. So stop doing it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
no problem...I will refrain commenting on any of your posts...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
all I ask is that you are at the very least honest...does this sound stock specific?...."o I meantioned it because the dow has been teatering on the brink of a break out and Alcoa's results and results in general are going to swing it either way"
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Chartist , i was reading the 8th Habit by S kovey. In this book he mentions the greatness of a person is measured by his willing to teach and share his knowledge because it is in that process the greatest learning takes place. Chartist, a special thanks for your UNSELFISH approach to share your VAST knowledge to this forum.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
I must also thank Simon Brown for helping me to understand share installments and entry and exit srategy...
0 Kudos
CrownA
Super Contributor
Steady steady everyone Just an observation if I may - a big share like ALCOA does move the market - the market is so jittery, swaying up and down on news and opinion - good and bad!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Crown A ...of course ALCOA will move the market (and it has)...however put buying has the potential to move the market in a different direction to the one John had in mind....up to yesterday the Alcoa results had no caused large scale put buying..havent checked VIX today... so what I am trying to say is that the = John uses is nonsense ...factually as well as empirically
0 Kudos
Not applicable
thanks preston....however it is not vast and it is not unselfish...I have managed to bed some of the forum members....
0 Kudos
DCTrader
Super Contributor
Of course it sways the market Chartist... the same analysts that got it wrong for the Alcoa Q1 earnings most likely did the forecasts for the other stocks. If they got it wrong this time, it could very well be an indication that their estimates are too high for the rest... Also, these results came out after the DOW close last night so this isn't what caused the pullback on the DOW yesterday. Round 2... fight!
0 Kudos