Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

listed property vs buy to let

Not applicable
I have often thought this over, and my decision always leans towards listed property vs buying my own to let. With RDF, for example (my listed property stock of choice), I get a yield of 9% per annum, whereas my own property returns about 4%-5%. With the listed property, if I wanted to sell, I can do it in 5 minutes. My flat would take around 2-3 months. With listed property, I pay total fees of around 1.5% - with the flat - probably around 5%. I don't have any tennant hassles, maintenance costs, and vacancies to deal with in a listed property. Listed property costs me 1.5% to buy as well, vs transfer duty, occupational rent, bond registration, laywers fees, maintenance, and repair costs. So why own my own then? Well, I can improve it - (thereby add value) and I can gear it 100%, which cannot be done long term with listed property, unless I borrow against my current homeloan. And lastly, I don't think I can offset my tax on listed property yield against the interest paid on the homeloan I borrowed against. So conclusion, my thoughts are back on listed property
0 Kudos
46 REPLIES 46
Blik
Super Contributor
There was a debate about this about a year or so ago - either here or on Tickertalk. Most people seemedd to agree that you get a better return by either owning listed property or commercial property as opposed to investing in a second buy-to-let house or flat. Mainly because of the costs incurred during ownership and on sale of the property. The main benefit seemed to be that by buying a second house, a bank would give you a nice fat loan and one could get students to pay a portion of that off. I am currently looking to buy a second house to let out to students, and am weighing up all pros and cons. I keep coming back to the fact that this is the one form off investment that a bank will actually give me some money to buy. They dont seem to understand my concerted effort and argument for a loan for 50 cases of Kanonkop Black Label!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
well I would have thought that having a bunch of students unattended in your property would have been considered a 'con' rather than a pro
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
good quality post-grad students can often be great here in the City of Saints. Dont let to First years, second years or third years.
0 Kudos
BlueDolphin
Frequent Contributor
Same questions mulling here. So I do both. My RDF for this fin year (from 1 March) is sitting at 14%, capital growth and div. Property at +- 8% , assuming 0 capital growth. The net on townhouse of K500 is K3.5, and that is by using agent, I never see or speak to tenants. The advantage of rental income is it is steady stream of income versus 1 or 2 times a year div. Oor 50 jaar sal ek beter antwoord hAƒAª - with hind sight!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
now there is a situation that has f%@#$ up written all over it. It is not a SARS tax, but a municipal property tax. Meaning our esteemed and extremely competent municipal councilers are going to charge 4 times higher rates and taxes to those that rent out their property, vs those that live in it. So how on earth are they logistically proposing to do this? They have no way of knowing if your are the owner or renter. They have no way of actually knowing who is residing in the property. If our esteemed councilers can't even collect on electricity bills, what makes them think they can sort this one out? Bring it on!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So the same people that can not afford to buy will not be able to rent if the landlords adjust the rent to accomodate the added tax. Shame.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
The ANC is getting pretty good about taxation - "extract the maximum amount of feathers for the minimum amount of hissing".

...except they don't care about taxpayers hissing, only their voting base. So the feather extraction is a free-for-all.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Buying a single property is akin to having a portfolio made up of one stock. It is highly risky. In fact it is even worse since the stock won't cost anything to own. You also won't have to "manage" the stock - the company will employ staff to do that for you. The company has lawyers to deal with claims - you have no hope as any sort of legal action will run into hundreds of thousands in the blink of an eye. You can sell a stock with minimal spread loss and .3% brokerage. The median property will cost nearly 20% to rotate if you are the catalyst on both buy and sell side and thus the cause of costs on both legs. ADD to this the fact that a property can take YEARS to move - at a "decent?" price. AND then there is the political risk!!
0 Kudos
BlueDolphin
Frequent Contributor
Equity have the risk of loosing all or 90% of its value. Any share has that risk. Property for sure is long term and less likely to become zero valued.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
thres .. I got bad news for you .. no I cannae even say it ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
err tell that to people who bought in hillbrow in the 70's ..
0 Kudos
BlueDolphin
Frequent Contributor
But they still have the property and not only the share certificates. And they are still renting out in Hillbrow. From Rentbay coza : 7 Jul 2011 A¢A_A" Rental: R 3000. Bedroom(s): 2.0. Bathroom(s): 1.0 in HILLBROW
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
maybe .. or their building has been hijacked .. thew get no income but still pay rates ..
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
OK - I'll say it for you - You a-g-r-e-e!
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Forget residential, commercial and industrial are the way to go, and owning the latter two will always smoke listed property (that is what they are anyway)because of gearing.been there , done that for over 40 years.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
No single house is less risky than the STX40. We're not saying put it all on one stock. We're saying one house (or even 5 houses) vs the market, because you can pick and choose in the market and get your money out as fast as you like.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
At the risk of being accused of "pulling rank" - I have substantial property holdings (although less then before thanks to price falls and disposals.) The complications are monumental. I bought for speculative reasons - so it was the land I wanted - not some silly structure. BUT even so... The long-term returns on property are poor - and during the great depression - it was almost worthless. In fact (despite popular ignorance) the best asset class once the dust had settled - was high grade companies with decent dividends.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
There is risk in anything and everything on this Earth.Even the very best company today will on day mature and die.Believe it or not.
0 Kudos