Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

look for a gap close

Not applicable
the retracement on the ftse has completed to the sweet spot...so we may see a gap ..or attempted gap close
0 Kudos
39 REPLIES 39
john_1
Super Contributor
looks Like the market is stuck between a rock and a hard place.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
no we are on our way!!!
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
I agree with Chartist. There's big psychology at work here, and boy oh boy what a nice short coming up once this gap closes!
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
b ut of course... I'll wait for the DOW futures to play out first if we go sideways or up
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
this is one time it pays not to be watching the overseas markets.
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Because a gap either works or is does not.. so if you get the trigger you go and if it fails you get out...stuff what others are doing.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
err John I totally disagree with you...
0 Kudos
venice
Super Contributor
Sorry to interupt your topic. Just so I'm on the same page, are you saying that often a gap up or down will get closed in a high percentage of cases?? . I would like to learn this strategy, so if you don't mind would either Chartist or John explain this or direct me to a reference please. Would this be a 30 or 60 minute gap strategy?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Go do your research then come back and ask the questions from a position of at least trying to understand on your own, it will make all the diffrence in the end.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
There is just to much bad news out there for these gaps to close right now !!!
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
the way things are going right now I'm not sure any gap is going to close. The FTSE is tendering right on the 5000 brink and DOW futures over 100 down despite the biggest drop since 911. Like I said earlier it's the Bear Raiders and not just the bears who are now in control. And news around AIG et al is not helping the picture. Also disclosures by Asion banks of possibly bigger exposure to Lehman than previously assumed
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hey nova where did you get out with WEZ ?
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
Hi Hennie, nope, no out for me, I'm just averaging down some to stay with the price. This was always a long term for me and now I'm getting it at bargain basement prices at a level that leaves me very comfortable going towards 2011
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
there is only one thing more powerful than a gap close and thats a gap failure, when the market tries and fails, as it did this morning.. just look at the drop.
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
oi vey, there goes 5000 on the FTSE.
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
WOW man, this is really something. The FTSE, DAX and DOW (and of course insignificant little us on the TOP40) are all down below significant psychological levels, all within a 24h00 period. If this isn't ominous then I don't know what is?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
we are going to bounce on the us open me thinks.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
its to early to tell but I think we just got our reversal
0 Kudos