Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

msg for asylum

Wizard
Super Contributor
Banks! It's time!
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
asylum
Super Contributor
Hi Wizard ja ive been in ASA for about 3 weeks now but it was derailed by the increase in interest rate, could have got out with a handsome profit just before the hike but i thought the hike was already priced in, so just have to hang in there, but yes ASA seems to be on the up but i dont think it will stay there, looking to get out at around R 118.00 if it gets there.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
The DOW is going to probably 0.618 13250. The Banks still have to catch up. Hopefully! After that ASA should come down to current levels very quickly!
0 Kudos
theyoungster
Super Contributor
wizard you say its a good time to buy into banks now?? which would be best? asa,fsr or sbk.. or all of them??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
none of them... INL the only on that is showing any bullish signs...
0 Kudos
SIMBA
Super Contributor
With the intervention again of the British goverment i would get into Old mutual asap
0 Kudos
Not applicable
i prefer the banks based on their pe ratios, some of the miners are trading at scary pe's
0 Kudos
DCTrader
Super Contributor
Those PE ratios are based on their prior earnings (or very optimistic future earnings!)... There's a big difference between a low PE and a negative one! Adjust their PE for the upcoming results and it'll paint a very different picture...
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Those PE's will get reduced or stay the same as prices fall and earnings also. Say company trades at 45 and EPS is 5, then the P/E is 9. Next year it trades at 20 and EPS is 2, then P/E is 10!!!! Opposite applies for miners
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
lets have a bit of a rally for a change. :)
0 Kudos
DCTrader
Super Contributor
So you then contradicting yourself? You supporting the idea to buy cos the PE's are low... and then use the fact that their prices will fall further in your example. Their is a lag effect in using old earnings to calculate current PE's. Or are you with me on this one? It's too early on a Monday morning...
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Luckily I had my coffee already! As a trader you don't look at P/E's. This is a sucker rally and that is what I'm banking on. Long term I think this is only 1/4 of the recession that we have seen so far. I you are a long term investor, go on a holiday and come back end of next year to buy ASA at 50 and P/E at 8
0 Kudos
DCTrader
Super Contributor
Agreed... off to grab that coffee now.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
i would go with ASA, it has very good fundamentals (a number of them), and i think it is technically strong esp if you look at how undervalued it is compared to the TOPI over the past two years or so. I am aware of the interest rate hike insofar as future earnings are concerned but absa management is prepared for that (provision for unsecured debt is above adequate, and the expectation of bad debt is well within the industry average which isn't so bad)
0 Kudos